Age to start

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Mar 22, 2010.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    My son is 7 years old. He has gotten into video games. He seems to think there is nothing fun to do if he can't sit in front of a screen. I am thinking that if he had to practice music every day it would fill up some of that time in which he whines that he must play video games or he'll be bored to death. He says he want to play trumpet. He's made noise with it many times. He likes to blow into my trombone too, but says he likes trumpet better. I can teach him myself. I could also teach piano and recorder. Do you think age 7 is an okay time to start learning? Or should I teach him something like piano or recorder until he's older?

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It's normal to start (here in OZ) at about 11 or 12 y.o. (Year 4) but if you think he has the drive then try him out. One thing I do try to do with my boys is to refer to all trumpet playing, whatever the exercise, as playing. It's a little tip I got from my tutor some years ago - he was a master at playing mind games and he thought that the differentiation between the boring old process of practice and the much more interesting and enjoyable pursuit called playing was worth being careful with his language - I don't know - seemed to work for my two.

I would think that an ability to focus sufficiently to develop the mental and physical skills dictates a bit older than 7 - IMHO.
    The piano is a very good basis for any musical education - if you think he's not yet ready to be Maynard.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Our family had a tradition that everyone started on the piano. That provided a good basis for reading music, learning rhythm, dynamics, harmony and other principles. Then, everyone could switch to a different instrument if they wanted. I switched to trumpet when I was in 6th grade (3 sisters stayed with the piano, another brother switched to trumpet and the last one switched to drums). I would recommend starting on the piano but if he likes to blow the trumpet, there is no harm in letting him do that. Once he gets serious and really wants to learn it, you should have him take lessons from a teacher who really knows how to teach and stimulate kids. Some really good players and teachers just don't resonate with kids. Also, there is no minimum age. A number of world class players started as young as 5 and some have become very accomplished by 10 or even earlier. There are lots of really good and inspiring videos of young people playing amazing trumpet on Youtube. Check them out.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Our family had a tradition that everyone started on the piano. That provided a good basis for reading music, learning rhythm, dynamics, harmony and other principles.
    -----------------
    It would be hard to do better than this. My daughter works on piano and started the trumpet at age two.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    i started on cornet at age 6 ... no complaints here!

6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    If he wants to learn, by all means start him. If it doesn't "take," then nothing lost. My 9 year old started at 6 and he's done great.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. Stephen

Stephen New Friend

Feb 25, 2010
    I started the violin when at secondary school in the UK, course now I've retired I've taken up learning to play the trumpet..hopefully to get proficient enough to join the small band up in the Daytona area...

Stephen

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If he shows an interest, let him have at it.

I also started at 7 years old.

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If he wants to learn let him.

10. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I started with music at age 6, 2 years of mandatory flute playing (the wooden thing with holes, you put in your mouth, not the silver thing you blow over... dunno what the English terms for them are.), and started on trumpet at age 8. been playing for about 13 years now.
    gotta admit that during the first few years I hardly practised at all. only during the last 5 or so I really improved.

I whish I had started on piano instead of flute... I can imagine that it's much better for music devellopment.