Age to start

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Mar 22, 2010.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Some of the best trumpet players I have ever met (Maurice Murphy and Rod Franks, London Symphony Orchestra) have started playing the cornet at the age of 6. Depending on his body structure it may be wiser to start on a cornet.

2. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I was actually looking at cornets because they seem to be lower in price. (Besides, I've always wanted a cornet.)

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi there

Hey I started on a Cornet too Hmm. I think he should be fine, there's a bit of guff in the Uk about not statring a brass instrument until the adult teeth are developed, but I have the same higgledy piggledy gnashers as my parents niether of who ever went near a horn. I vaguely remember being given a euph mouthpiece at the age of three and an old decrepit C cornet at about five so I think he should be fine. Make sure its enjoybale for him and go for it would be my advice

Cheers

Andrew

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Two things;

One, go for the cornet, it will be easier for him to hold, being shorter.

and Two, by all means start him or at least get him familiar with the peino, THAT will be the biggest help you can give him.

I wish you well!

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Ditto. That's exactly what I meant.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Another vote for the piano here, I gave up and am trying to relearn now, there's a lot be learned about theory and harmony almost by osmosis from piano work

Cheers

Andrew

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If he wants to play trumpet and is making noise on one now, I would start him on lessons before he develops too many bad habits. You would be amazed how fast they can progress if they start out playing the correct way. The idea of getting him a cornet to start is an excellent one. I started my son on a cornet at age 8 the summer between 2nd and 3rd grades. He used it until middle school because everyone was using trumpets ,so he also wanted to use one.

8. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    Okay, I think I'll start him out on piano while I search for the cornet. If he continues with both, then all the more time used not being bored! Perhaps I should start teaching my older girls piano again. They play the string instruments.

9. Irensaga

Irensaga Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I started on piano when I was 6 and trumpet when I was 8 and the piano definatly helped give me a good starting point. I also play guitar and found playing the piano first seemed to make it easier to grasp.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mom played the piano beautifully and tried to teach me which to a point was successful in that I can now sight read music and pick out any note on a piano. I gave up, I think, only because I couldn't play nearly as well as Mom did. I just wasn't satisfied!

Still, in my old age age, I'm wise enough to know that knowledge of piano is very helpful in later playing any other instrument ... except I will not tune to one ... as very few I've found are themselves tuned well. I much prefer precision tuning forks.