Agile fingers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    To Tom Hooton

I was wondering if you had any tips for practising long series of fast runs? I find that my fingers become frozen and clumsy after a few beats of this type of music.

2. thomashooten

thomashooten Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hi,

Practice using all different types of groupings of notes, with a wide variety of rhythms. How many combos you can come up with? I've also heard that it helps some people to practice things like this with the opposite hand. Keep your wrist and fingers fairly loose.

Have fun!

Tom

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Another way to practice, especially if it gets worse as you go, is to practice the lick from back to front. Play the last beat, then the last two, last three, etc...finally playing it all. That way when you get there, your hand will remember playing the end with the same ease as the beginning. Start slow, back to front, and once you can play the whole thing, start slowly building up speed.

J.

4. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Thanks gentlemen, i will try out some of these ideas.

5. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Hey Tom, how do you feel about Nagel Speed Studies for this kind of thing?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are creatures of habit. If your fingers "hang up" after a couple of beats, you do not have the patterns committed to memory. That is why we practice scales, Clarke, Arban and the like.
    Habits are developed by starting SLOWLY and then repetitions. Play the lick at half speed with a metronome. If it still is not PERFECT, slow it down some more. Perfect it at the slower speed, then advance as your body and mind become cooperative!
    Any patterns that you commit to memory will aid future passages that you will need to play!!!!!

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Ditto above

8. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Ditto the Ditto! You have to slow that stuff down man and work up to it and be patient.