Air comes out my nose

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetbeast, Jan 27, 2014.

1. trumpetbeast

trumpetbeast New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    How would I go about finding single lessons in my area?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Well, where are you?

3. trumpetbeast

trumpetbeast New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    North Florida, on the nature coast. USA

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi trumpetbeast,
    You asked:
    "How can I ease up on the "forcing" but still maintain my range?"
    That's a great question!!
    In the beginning, you very well may have to give up a little range but that's kinda reasonable since the means you are currently using (forcing the air) is possibly inappropriate.
    How to ease up:
    Use a mirror and watch yourself as you play softly making sure your face isn't turning beet red.
    As with many things that are re-learned, you must build your way back up but here's the great thing. In a little bit of no time (possibly as soon as the beginning of March), you be back to where you were and, you'll be more powerful and assured than ever.
    Lip slurs are a great exercise that requires no book and it builds flexibility and confidence. Just lip slur the 7 valve combinations. Those combinations are:
    0, 123, 13, 23, 12, 1, 2
    Start on the lowest note (for 0 it would be low C) and softly slur as high as you can go maintaining a good sound (no smearing or sloppiness, make it soft, light, assured and confident) . Presently, your sound probably goes south before the leaking occurs so listen to yourself intently. Practice each valve combo about one minute each if you can and remember, soft with a pretty sound. These are not easy!! Lip slurs are the exercises that separate the big dogs from the little dogs so don't be dissapointed is you suck when you start out, everyone does.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi trumpetMD,
    You ststed:
    "Hey Gary. I'm feeling left out. Dr. Mark never comments on my posts. Maybe I have to invite him to one of my gigs, too.
    -----
    Now you're catching on! But seriously,try to show up at Little E's in Febuary as I'm going to try to be there even if it's just for a brief time. I'm excited to hear Gman and the band live! Show up and I'll buy you a beer (unless you're one of those prodigies like Dougie Houser and you're only 11)
    Dr.Mark

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    :-)

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Wot he said

I will add that a teacher who is interested in people and music will be open to helping in any way they can. If you want a single lesson then as long as you don't expect them to turn you into Alison Balsom, Maurice Andre or Wynton or whoever in that one hour "masterclass" then they should be open to it. If not then I would look elsewhere.

I have just changed teacher and have gone to the new one on great reccomendations from a number of people and on his willingess to be open over lessons i.e giving me what I feel I need, which is actually a fortnightly hour session which gives me time to assimilate our work into my playing. I have serious doubts over the self acclaimed Music School type of teacher who at the first lesson blasts you with rules about attendance, (some are even difficult about illness which as a migraine sufferer is not good) and asks for money for a course of lessons "up front"

Ask around at music shops, call the nearest uni even a really good student can give you what you need and might be glad of the extra $20 - 40. once in a while (I would ask for a recomendation from someone on the teaching staff first though)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My plan is to keep you there for at least two sets... as we don't start cooking until after the first set stew simmers....

If I have to buy a single malt to keep you put, then its worth the investment to extend rest to your foot. But if you are having problems with the gout, than that single malt could make you pout. But at least it would not be as bad as beer, and with the extra kick, the pain you should not fear.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Maybe it's because your posts make sense!

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL. I doubt it.

Mike