Air comes out my nose

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetbeast, Jan 27, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh, I see, while mine make for deep philosophical introspection. Why thanks for kind words VB. May your wings fly you higher, and not chaff you forehead in the process. Reflect.:think:

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "When you FINALLY come to hear me play at Little E's, I am telling the waitress, no soda's for you... Only coffee my friend, only coffee.
    --------
    Darned!!!
    Yes, it's true that spitwads were my weapon of choice in grade school. I've since graduated to blow pipe.
    Dr.Mark

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh... Ouch... I'm suddenly feeling very sleepppppiiiieeeeeeeeee

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Well....it's good to see you gentlemen on here still giving out great information and keeping the troops in line !! I've been gone for a while.
    Feels good to get back.. Between work and performances it's been crazy...
    By the way it's a good thing air comes out your nose or the Doc's on here would be suggesting you get your septum repaired : )

Sethoflagos likes this.
  5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You said:
    "Oh... Ouch... I'm suddenly feeling very sleepppppiiiieeeeeeeeee
    ---------------
    Now that 's funny! Just consider me your friendly neighborhood dyak.
    Dr.Mark

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Septum for me. I don't go nosing around in that area.

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    No I hear tell that you are no deviant

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Although there could be a medical condition here, I have seen this a lot and to not attribute it to an anatomical deficiency. Air under pressure will find a way to dissipate and when playing the trumpet, there are really only two possibilities: mouth or nose. A certain amount of pressure is required for the nose to become activated and when playing correctly, this type of air pressure only happens when mashing the lips practically shut and then blowing harder to compensate. Something has to give.....

The secret is to learn to play with less arm pressure. Long tones, lipslurs, easy tunes, better body use and breathing.

I know that there are a lot of people who are getting tired of me posting the same stuff for just about every symptom that comes up. The problem is, it is essentially the only solution for the majority of players. Maybe it is easier to keep looking for a silver bullet or better mouthpiece. My take is that we treat the disease, not the symptom! Getting a real foundation is far more productive than screwing around with the symptoms!

tedh1951 likes this.
  9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Rowuk your fix is simple, you're attacking the root cause. Not only is it the smart way to do it, it's the only way to do it.

10. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    I GOT YOU BROTHA! I KNOW YOUR PAIN 100% I had this Velopharyngeal Insufficiency issue during 8th grade. I do not know how old you are but I am 9th grade and I started in 6th. Anyway, playing easy going notes was no issue, it was playing high that got me leaking air out. In 8th grade I had no private teacher so for about 4 months I had to figure this out. IT WAS THE MOST FRUSTRATING PIECE OF DOO DOO ON EARTH. No offense to TrumpetMD but I refused to live with it. I still have my tonsils. I would have VPI (air leaking out the nose thing) when I played a g above the staff, a high A, etc. For notes like G in the staff or a B in the staff, it was easy. Some days I would have so much air leaking out, that eventually I couldnt play anything. I doubt it is a medical issue, but I could be wrong. I am no trumpet expert but I have been through this recently, when the air leaks out of your nose, it is due to your pallet not being able to seal off between your nose and your mouth. So when that pallet gets weak, the air you are pushing out leaks into your nose. Why does the pallet get weak? Well when you breathe out your mouth normally, air shouldn't leak out of your nose. This is due to your pallet doing a good job of sealing off between your nose and your mouth. BUT. Once you put the horn on and try your range, the pallet all of a sudden starts to fail you. This is because your pallet is getting way too much stress put on.

Message Dr.Mark. He's a miracle worker and I owe it to him and God for helping me stomp this VPI issue. He has a thing called "The Basics Sheet" The sheet basically tells you to practice everyday in front of the mirror. Make sure you have no tension in your face. If you look at Alison Balsom on youtube, she plays with the face of an angel. She doesn't scrunch her face up and look constipated.

Rowuk's "Circle of Breathe" is very good too. You can find it on TM. Breathe in and let it out immediately. Do not hold it! This creates tension for me. Make sure your shoulders aren't scrunched up. Relax them. Check the mouthpiece pressure. My lesson teacher this year taught me to hold the mouthpiece with the index finger and the thumb and play. Without pushing, you should have enough pressure to play.

Mouthpiece pressure is a big contributor to our problem my friend. It's just unneeded tension and cuts off the air and blah blah blah. No good.

Open your aperture. Open up, so that your air can come out. If your aperture is too small and tight, all the fast air for the high notes will be pushed and stalled back into your mouth, thus it puts stress on the pallet and it goes to your nose to get out. This is why it only happens when you play high, your air speed is so fast, but your aperture is too small and rejects the air back into your mouth, and out your nose. Think about it. You don't need to push the air needed for a high C to play a G in the staff do you? My point is open the aperture. THIS WAS KEY TO MY ISSUE.

Think about pushing the air out. Like a laser beam. Don't think about hesitation, and holding the air. That will cause VPI to trigger when you play high, because all that fast air is hesitated and pushed back, and from there all sorts of crap happens. I flex my abs to for higher ranges, helps me push the air out fast.

All this fast air is useless and is bad for you if you hesitate it, push it out slowly, or let your aperture send it back into your mouth and through your nose.

All this info I typed was from my personal experiences. Ask Dr.Mark, I had it bad and I was desperate to fix this. I understand if you don't believe everything I say. I am not certified to teach trumpet. I know I probably sounded really confusing. Please message me if you have questions. Hey, I'm just trying to help out, because I know this makes you want to quit, there isn't alot of research on this. Don't give up on the trumpet. AND DO NOT FORCE. I know the pain man. I know.

gmonady likes this.