Air comes out my nose

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetbeast, Jan 27, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I edited the above post as a prescription for treating VPI and giving it out to all my patients! What a GREAT summary. I agree, It isn't a medical issue, it is an anatomical and physiological variance of normal. Hey, we physicians give out prescriptions for non-medical issues all the time, especially for rehabilitation for athletes to improve on the process. I look at this prescription as being in the same category.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Man, I have been trying to avoid this the whole time I have been on TM!:-P

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Except for that dart gun thingy, man does that hurt... but it does get me a good night's sleep. I just hate the part when I wake up at the Pittsburgh zoo in the primate cage.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    No problem. I'm offended all of the time. :-) (just joking)

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying you should give in to it. But not everyone can totally eliminate the problem. I'm speaking about my personal experiences, of course. But I'm also speaking about my experiences with this issue as a physician and from the published literature.

Mike

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In my essay a long, long time ago (5th grade) I wrote a segment titled "My Tin Cup" recalling my prior usage of a blow pipe ... to blow bubbles. In the segment as followed "I Killed Billy" as was the hue and cry of Junior, I left my tin cup on the porch steps. I didn't write the sequel, but I subsequently learned that "My Tin Cup" was used by a child to drink his milk and my blow pipe was trashed or lost. Billy was my now late brother although he only broke his left forearm and sustained some other bruises in that incident.

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    possible short flexible pallet...

I have had good results with students with this exercise...

Collect a small assortment of rubber balloons. Find some with easy to strong resistance to inflate.
    Start blowing up the easy balloons and gradually work up to the more difficult balloon resistance.

If it is a muscle development problem, this will help.

If it is a pallet dimensional problem, it might not help.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree that these "air flow" exercises with balloons can help. Certain tonguing exercises, especially K tonguing, can also help.

(This isn't to take away from what has already been said about good form and a consistent daily routine.)

Mike

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    riceckaes sez: Dr.Mark. He's a miracle worker...
    and you said, Except for that dart gun thingy.
    ---
    I'm probably better at blowpipe than trumpet. I can stand back 20 or so feet and robinhood darts until it's a bore. Others use to hate to shoot with me because I'd destory the backs of their darts.The ease and accuracy of these things are just amazing. The down side? Swallowing a dart when the person inhales.
    Dr.Dyak

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My pulmonologist Rxs balloons for my COPD but they're not in Medicare's pharmacology, thus they are an out-of-pocket expense.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    How difficult? As a kid I used to blow up hot water bottles, but was roundly admonished by my mother for 'showing off'. And ruining a couple of her hot water bottles.