Air Flow Restriction and Throat Tension

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lowtide89, Jul 2, 2006.

1. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Liz -

I highly agree with Mr. Laureano on this topic. Tension in the throat is a complicated issue to fix. I recently fixed this SAME issue in my playing and it SIGNIFICANTLY improved my range.

Seek a local teacher who can physically look at your set up and help you determine the best way to approach this issue. Greg Wing who teaches at Morehead State University in Kentucky is an expert on this very subject and can help you...as I'm sure others can too.
    Best wishes

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, the only reason I made my suggestion is on the possible chance that this self-diagnosis might not be right. That is often the case.

ML

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    That's so true, there is no substitute for a real live teacher. I never made much progress until I found a good teacher, and unfortunately for me that was when I was a junior in college. I coulda used one sooner. But in the end it worked out pretty well. There is no substitute for knowledge, and no one can take it away from you. Make sure you get it from a reliable source.

Michael McLaughlin

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

4. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    i'm going to cast another vote for having a private teacher work on this issue with you.

....however, i will offer some rambling for you :shock: .

I was at a Bert Truax masterclass and he made a strong argument for strength of corners, saying that 'the more corners you use, the less pressure you need to use'. (Maybe some of the professionals on the forum will agree with that, maybe they won't)..nevertheless, that's been working for me this summer. So perhaps some exercises to strengthen your corners will help you to rely LESS on chops alone, and hopefully, avoiding unnecessary tension. (pm me if you want a suggested excercise, it'd take too long to explain right now on a post.)

Also, i would suggest the James Stamp book. Majority of the studies in that book expand your range in BOTH directions in one breath. Helps you break the habit of having a different embouchure set up for each register. Great Book!!

5. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    ...sorry,...just thought of one more thing...

after you've gotten all nice a warmed-up, you might try putting in a recording of a piece that you can buzz along with (without the music). buzz along with the recording paying very close attention to matching pitch and keeping a big, free buzz in all registers. By buzzing along without seeing the music, you could possibly avoid the tension created by 'seeing the high note coming up' on the page and just focus on matching the pitches, you might just buzz beyond that G thats giving you problems.

try the same recording consistantly for a few days, see how it goes.

Brad