Air force band audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Any of yall in here ever taken an Air Force band audition?? I'm flying out on Wednesday for a Thursday audition to California and wouldn't mind knowing some tips, how the audition is run and how long it took you guys who have taken one before. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hi, Jeremy,

I moved this to General (with a shadow topic in my forum) so you'd get more hits and answers.

ML

3. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    Can't exactly speak for the Air Force, because they have their own school. The Army, Navy, and Marines have a tri-service school at the amphib base in Little Creek, VA. I was in the Marine Band at El Toro, before they closed it down.

When I auditioned it was in '90, so things may have changed, or maybe not.

I was asked to have a prepared piece, which was no prob. They asked me to play a fair amount of scales. I didn't know some of them, and instead of making a fool of myself and wasting their time, I just simply said I am not familiar with that scale or that I hadn't practiced that particular scale enough to memorize it.

I was asked to sight read a piece that wasn't stupid hard, but challenging enough. I was asked to change the written articulation of the sight reading piece. For example, if it was legato they asked me to play stoccato, if it was slurred, I was asked to tongue the notes...stuff like that.

The Marine who ran my audition said they were just looking for people who had talent and could change things when asked, as if signifying that a person could be easily taught.

I would ask your recruiter to see if he could sniff out any tips. Maybe he could call the nearest air base and talk to someone in the music program there and see what is expected, or better yet call the music school for you. Recruiters will do anything to keep their numbers up....especially for a bandsmen. Play the "casting doubt" role with him.....he should move.

Just my thoughts...I hope they are helpful.

4. Larry

Larry New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Tennessee
    One small correction. Unless things have changed the Air Force bands have no school. The Air Force pretty much expects its new members to be prepared prior to admittance into that particular AFC.

Larry

5. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    See, I told you I didn't know about the AF....I stand corrected. :oops: