Air in the areas above and below the lips.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kireiray, Apr 19, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    This is interesting. I have always allowed a small amount of air behind my upper - well not lip, but gum area. I've wondered about it, I have had only two private teachers, one local, and he never said anything about it, and my current teacher via web cam. Neither have remarked on it - possibly in the case of my current teacher because he can't see it.

It's very slight, and I don't puff my cheeks, and it's only under my upper area above the lip/beneath the nose, whatever that's called. It's not caused me a problem that I have identified, but as I say I've been curious about it. I've been able to play without it, but more comfortable/more secure in the upper register with it.

As an example, I just did Smith's flexibilities 1-4 (tongued and slurred), concentrating NOT to use this. All notes were in the accessible to me, but I missed the high C a few times, then tried again. Would not have missed with the air behind there . . .
    I did (at least I think) notice a difference in my approach, I'll have to look at this more.

Is this what you are talking about? And is it definately a problem? Or are we talking about something else/something more?

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    After further examination and checking our how air can pocket, I think we are talking about two different things, or at least manifested differently. What I do is not the same as if I try to let air into the upper and lower lips, that's much more extreme, not just because it's both lips, but because of the volume etc.

What I have going on - while may or may not be a problem - is a very small amount of air behind the area below my nose - between the skin and gums, which creates a small cushion, not a means of (I don't think) creating any kind of tension on the chops. If feels more like a cushion that keeps the skin behind (obicular oris? or whatever that is http://face-and-emotion.com/dataface/anatomy/lowerfacemusclesdetails.jsp) off my teeth.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009