Air Leak NEED HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.Legaspi, Jan 30, 2009.

1. A.Legaspi

A.Legaspi New Friend

Jan 30, 2009
    I have noticed in the last year that I have developed an air leak on the right side of my embouchure, everytime I play I leak air from that side. It seems as though my embouchure cannot hold when I play. NOW my corners are nice firm and relaxed but I still have an air leak.

This is so frustrating, when I was in college I never had a problem playing I was always a strong player with a great sound. Now that I am in my 2nd year of teaching as a band director I find myself developing this problem and the worse part is that it happened in front of my students. I must say I did take some time off from the horn my first year due to the stresses of the job but once I began trying to practice some more and trying to ease my way back I found it difficult.

Things I have tried:
    Switchin MPC's from a GR 67LX to a Bach 3C and now to a Bach 7C which kind of helps but the problem still exists.

Please any help from you pro players out there or anyone who has had a similar problem.

Thank You!

A.L.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Practice,practice,practice, soft long tones & lip slurs, Arban`s , Clarke, etc. I couldn't`t touch the horn for four months once, when I came back I had the same range as before but had zero endurance with air leaking out the sides, this lasted a full month I was thinking of quiting, I hung in ,the leak went away, that was 25yrs. ago and it never bothered me again, it takes time to rebuild the embouchure muscles , its lack endurance thats causing the air leaking from the sides.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Are you leaking through the lips or from the mpc rim?

4. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    I find I have the same problem sometimes. My leak seems to be from the side of the mouthpiece, it doesnt affect my range or anything but i think I could optimize my tone by getting rid of it.

5. A.Legaspi

A.Legaspi New Friend

Jan 30, 2009
    Bob, thank you for your interest in my problem here. The leak comes from the right side of the mpc, but I have looked in the mirror and seen that my lips open up on the right side.

A.L.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If the air leaks between the mpc and the lips only, It usually means that there isn't a good seal between the mpc and the lips. Try using a tiny bit more pressure where it leaks. You may be able to angle the horn sightly toward the side with the leak. let me know how this works or not.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

It's hard to diagnose with out seeing you. Do you have a web cam? You can try making the corner on that side firmer and/or bring your bottom lip closer to the top lip and or bring your teeth a little closer together. let me know if any of this works or not for you. try and play a little at least 5 days a week. Try Clarke studies 1 & 2. Start on #1 on G, #2 on F. Go down then up. Take the mpc of at each double bar. Rest as needed.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany