Air Leakage from Uneven Chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jonesy08, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jonesy08

Jonesy08 New Friend

Jan 16, 2014
    Hi everyone,
    I am a college trombone player who used to play trumpet and I am trying to pick it back up again. I have been trying to adjust to the smaller mouthpiece by doing basic exercises and lips slurs for about 2 weeks now, but I am having problems with air leakage. The air always leaks out of the left side of my chops. I noticed that the right side of my lips are thicker than my left side and the air never leaks out of the right side when I play. Is there a way to fix this problem? My embouchure is centered, but I play with the mouthpiece facing slightly downwards. Are there any exercises I can do to strengthen the left side of my chops? I have read a few threads on here that mention Donald Byrd and suggest that air leakage isn't always a problem, but I think the air leakage is significant in my case. How can I strengthen the left side of my chops to stop the air leak?
    Thanks a lot.

2. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Have you tried doing push ups with your lips? I do them on hardwood floor.

3. Jonesy08

Jonesy08 New Friend

Jan 16, 2014
    Good one, but seriously, does anyone have any suggestions to help me out? Has anyone had any trouble with air leakage? I realize it's more of a beginner question, but I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

4. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Does one side of your mouth actually have more mass than the other?

5. Jonesy08

Jonesy08 New Friend

Jan 16, 2014
    It's my top lip. My bottom lip is perfectly symmetrical, but yeah, it seems like the right side of my top lip is different than my left. I know I can't help the anatomy of my mouth, but I need to stop the air from leaking out of the left side that's thinner.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Do you hold your trombone straight out or is it a bit towards your right side? If the latter, try pointing your trumpet a bit to the left, so that there is more pressure on your left upper lip.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    A friend of mine with a similar problem was told "Get a second mouth." As this was not really feasible, he took to developing two embouchures: One to the left for trombone, one to the right for trumpet.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    You might try a Warburton P.E.T.E. for a couple of months to see if that helps.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, what are you talking 'bout. Do them all the time. OP, give my front desk a call, we'll get you into the clinic for a consultation. Since Kingtrumpet also plays the trombone, I am in the process of contacting him to be the organ donor. Not to worry, I already pronounced KT brain dead. So it's ethical.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or you can just use a larger trumpet mouthpiece. Are you having similar issues with larger mouthpieces as well? If so, then I hate to admit it, but VB is otherwise spot on with this advice.