Air Leakage from Uneven Chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jonesy08, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All humor/humour aside, we didn't come into this world unilaterally constructed. Used properly and always P.E.T.E. is very good IMO, but I don't believe many use it properly and it is not a short term fix. In addition to trumpet / cornet mouthpieces and having played a trombone, I still continue to play the 6.5 AL and 12C mouthpieces with my euphonium.

With this preface and while a wider or other mouthpiece may help, I'm going to suggest you play the trumpet to the left side of your music stand swinging only your eyes to the right to read your music. With this, you'll tend to exert more pressure on the left side of your lips and in long term equalize the left side with the right.

All in all, playing a trumpet (or other instrument) is not an instant accomplishment.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is the problem with leaking air? As long as the tone is clear, I would say give yourself some more time. We are creatures of habit and the fine motor activity that positions your chops is still in trombone mode.

Not every symptom is a sign of disease (except in the second year of med school). Sometimes they are only indications to practice more.......

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Very well said.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I see you have been to medical school!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope, I only studied trumpet. I did have a student in med school though. It is amazing everything that becomes "real" after you read about it for the first time.

Kind of like the stuff that keeps chop docs and mouthpiece makers in business regardless of the statistical success! Ever notice that we only get blogs at the beginning of those embouchure or hardware journeys? I guess that most are ashamed to admit that those doubting were in fact right...... Or they got a life after figuring out that the trumpet is not as cool as they thought before they started reading the blogs...

In any case, I am hesitant to make any recommendations to trombone players with trumpets. I do understand why the trumpet could be of interest to them, but there is more than leaking lips to consider before blogging secrets.

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Jonesy,

I'm not a pedagog but perhaps you can benefit from reading about my experience. After 20+ years away from the trumpet, I had a similar problem to yours when I picked the instrument up again. The problem corrected itself after 4-6 months of daily practice; for what reason, I don't know. Good luck!!!!:D