Air leaking?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Practice, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    Whenever i practice on my trumpet it seems like that whenever i press down the second valve it will make this sound like air is leaking. All the other valves don't but it's just the second one. It started after i decided to switch from a D shaped tuning slide to a more curved one, if you know what i mean.

Anybody got any advice on what i should do? I'm thinking of taking it to a music shop some point next week when Christmas break starts.

2. ChiefRed

ChiefRed New Friend

Dec 13, 2010
    China Spring, TX
    That is strange...have you checked the spit valve? I wouldn't think that's the problem though if its only on the 2nd valve....Could it be threading, valve alignment, faulty valve, or any such related problem? There's a slight chance you may have knocked it a bit when switching tuning slides. Idk, that's all I know to check.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you put the original slide back in, does it still do it?

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Was the new slide the right one for your horn? Does it fit correctly? I guess it would leak all the time and not just sometimes. What about the obvious, is the second valve in the casing correctly? After you oiled it did it click in the right spot when you reinserted it? Such a simple thing that is second nature to some may be forgotten by others. Sometimes your instructor can spot a solution that you may have missed. Best wishes.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    To check for the source of that leak the first thing to do is to remove the second valve slide. Depress the second valve and blow through the leadpipe while holding your thumb over the bottom leg of the second valve tubing.

OLDLOU>>

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wnen your trumpet gets a "wheezing" sound it can be as simple as the valve not being in straight. rotate it until it goes "click". Then the valve guides are seated. Even if the valves are incredibly worn, they don't make noise. The only other thing that I can think of is crud in the horn. Pushing a valve down changes the standing wave pattern in the horn and may activate other junk.