Air pocket under upper lip good/bad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Jan 4, 2010.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I have hit something unbeleiveable today, I think it is somewhere around 14th parital maybe 15th, up until now I was comfortable up to 6th parital (high C) but this what happened today was just unexplainabe, and I must admit uncontrolabble. It just climbed up like a ladder, step by step, parital by parital, all the way up to what is by my approximation quadriple C. But it happened so fast almost like a machine gun.

It wasnt my intention I just experimented with pocked and applied much more roll (in the upper lip aswell as lower) than before

what happened???

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    edit - I thought I had canceled this message, not posted it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I think I can use it and I would like to use it because I would have an awesome range, although I am affraid to use it because I fear I can damage my original embouchure

But I can use it, I can play melody in very high register, now I can play it, before I couldnd, but I tried a bit more and gained sufficient control to play melody

at first there was no control, but now after half an hour of playing I have more control

4. spit_valve

spit_valve New Friend

Aug 2, 2008
    I recommend the book "Trumpet Pedagogy" by David Hickman. It covers modern teaching techniques and is a great resource when diagnosing embouchure problems. It can be ordered online at Hickman Music Editions .

Chapter III covers Embrochure Formation and Control.

5. Raw_Brass_Kicks

Raw_Brass_Kicks New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    Articulating on the top lip with the tip of your tongue resolves this issue of unsteady muscles or shakiness. The majority of players play with no air pocket, so they don't have to overcome that shakiness and can handle tonguing on the back of their teeth. When you try teeth-tonguing with air pockets, you can feel the air exit and re-enter the lip each time because of the unfocused air. Tonguing on Lips moves the point of air blockage forward so that the air exits the lips in a more focused manner, resolving the issue. Tonguing on your lips, takes time to practice, so don't expect immediate results (although they can happen!).
    don't throw the idea of air pockets away. They seem to have some sort of beneficial effect for you. You just need to learn the best way to tongue in that setting.
    I 100% agree with Rowuk, except that the established truths out there don't get the job done. Straying from those truths that work only for certain people will bring different results (and in this case better ones).

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Study Harry James performances and you'll observe varying degrees of an air pocket behind his upper lip. It's harder to see when he wore a mustache. I know at times I have some air there but I'm not worrying about it. I also pocket air along the lay of my teeth towards the back. Essentially I'm just filling upthe oral cavity.

7. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I believe everyone's physiology is different. If you have established good technique on the front end and are able to do everything you need to do and that happens, fine. But don't go looking for a quick fix or doing it on purpose.

I get a small pocket when playing around ledger C and above, but it has done nothing to diminish any aspects of my playing there. Do I do it on purpose, no. Does it just happen, yes.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    +1 on the paragraph I've deleted, but on the second I'd say on whatever notes it happens and wherever and doesn't affect your tone, don't worry about it or abruptly try to stop it.

9. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    I don't know about increasing range, but it does help to darken your sound a little.

10. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    Did he really have a muscle disorder? I thought he just played in a weird way due to lack of a formal teacher (of course he still ended up being awesome despite that!).

To answer the original posters question, I think that an air pocket would limit flexibility since with the lip puffed out like that, you would lose the ability to contract and relax your lip muscles making it more difficult to shift notes smoothly.