Air Pockets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Are air pockets developing in my mouth a bad thing? They're between my gums and my cheeks, or at the back of my mouth between my molars and cheeks. When I notice them I can get rid of them easy enough, but is it something that's bad enough that I should be stopping the note and repositioning my embouchure in order to fix it?

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    While some players do play with little air pockets. If you can fix it I would. usually you can make your corner muscles firmer and they will disappear. you can usually do this while your playing. the best way is to start your playing session with 5 to 10 minutes of special attention to keeping your corners firmer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    ^Yeah I can definitely fix it up while I'm doing long tones and slurs. Are there any ENOURMOUS negative effects? Or are you just saying that it probably isn't going to do any good? I suppose there's no reason to not fix it.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Air pockets are caused by air streaching the muscle to create tension instead of muscle contraction which is the better way to form the embochure. I have send a few players play quite well this way. but I would be remiss as a teacher if I didn't council you to not do it. Esp. if it's easy to do.

Don't change your mpc position to do this!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would recommend NOT playing with air pockets. If you play A LOT there may not be any negative aspects, if not, they make your embouchure geometry even less predictable. That robs consistency!

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Snorg,
    If you've been playing a long time you know that through the course of time we've all had to address some bad technique that arises and will probably continue to do so until we die. With that said, I'd work on getting rid of the air pockets. If you get use to playing that way, it'll be harder to correct and who knows the ramifications it will have on your playing. You didn't have air pockets two years ago did you? probably not. You liked your playing two years ago didn't you? well I hope so!!
    Why the question and answer? because you're adding a new variable to your playing that has unknown consequences. good luck

7. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    I hadn't picked up a horn two years ago. :)

8. maine trumpeter

maine trumpeter Pianissimo User

Aug 17, 2006
    Forum: trumpetherald.com This talks about pockets.
    You will fine that air pockets can be helpful. I fine that it will loosen the corners and and bring your jaw forward, that will also help roll your lips in as you go up in range. If I was you I would visit the The Balanced Embouchure web page or go over to the other forum for help, as they have a topic on the Balanced Embouchure.
    Brian