Air pressure question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Feb 12, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's more about air support and embouchure relaxation than it is about pressure... There is some virtue to the Ray of Power thingy that is the theory of VB... the theory that VB created... his theory... the theory of his...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYDiPizDIs

2. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    This thread resonates with me as I've struggled and struggled with this and am in a similar situation. I like this suggestion. With messing around with my tongue position I have discovered that what I was constantly told "not enough air" wasn't exactly true for me. Plenty of air in the lungs. And when someone tells me "more air" that just makes my body very tense. Playing with the tongue I experienced my first high C a couple weeks ago. It was squeaky but it was there. Now they are clearing up and it's a very exciting time, I actually had a C# the other day too! Check this video out, it helped me a lot:
    The "Three Compressions" by Trumpeter Charlie Porter - YouTube

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My theory, which is mine, does not imply that like the Brontosaurus, notes should be thin at both ends. My second theory, which is also mine, is that the energy needed to generate the RAY OF POWER does not come from eating slimy veggies out of a swamp like the Brontosaurus, but rather things that begin with the letter "B." Things like bananas, bacon, beer....

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    people! people! -- KT has just uncovered RARE video of GM in college testing this DRAFT THEORY before a gig, so we know it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRqiXYB5wQA
    ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    When I was trying to get some range back after my 25 year hiatus, I found that working on pedal tones really helped to open up the upper range again.

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    The frequency of the lip vibration is, of course, the fundamental frequency of the note. The smaller the aperture, the faster the fluid or air moves through that aperture and, all things being equal, less pressure is generated in the tubing: this is the basic concept of Bournoulli's principle. Playing loudly, by blowing harder, increases the force at which the lips come together during vibration and consequently affects the volume.:D

7. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    there is no secret really.

Just a balanced practice regime...............a lot of what has been said earlier is true.
    My take.............Play a lot of chromatic scales up and down staring low and build up as high as you can go without force, just use air and support.
    Do this as a daily practice making sure you are hearing all the notes clearly (play slowly if need be and increase speed as things fall into place.)
    the tongue will find its own way without any conscious effort on your part.
    This is only part of it and a good teacher will be able to set you up with a daily regime that will see you on your way, only if you practice diligently every day with patience and without force.

Cheers and have some fun