Air problem in nose/throat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hoho, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Hoho, regarding the feeling in your throat and nose. What you describe feels like something that used to happen to me a lot if I was over doing things without proper breathing and air support. There is a sudden feeling like the back of the throat up to the sinuses are itching and air just starts leaking up into the sinuses and out through the nose.

I just eased off the gas when that began happening and tried to put the horn down as soon as possible rather than risk causing any significant injury. After reading numerous posts here on breathing, I started making a conscious effort to put focus on that when I play, it helped tremendously. Dont think it has happend to me for several months. So take a strong look at your breathing and work from there.

You are quite young in the trumpet world - just over a month. Have your aspirations yes, but dont try to bite off more than you can chew, learn to crawl before you try to run. Trust me, get that breathing and the other foundation fundamentals right NOW, the flashy stuff will come later, and get a good teacher as soon as you can. I wish there were teachers where I'm from and that I had the opportunity to even know about some of the concepts I read about on TM. There is soo much I have to undo and re-learn the correct things after all these years of struggle. I'm going overseas in a week's time so I'm finally gonna have a trumpet tutor - gosh I'm looking forward to that!!!!!!!

2. hoho

hoho New Friend

Aug 18, 2009
    Darrien- yes, I'm pretty sure that's the same feeling I've been getting. I'll look up some posts and articles on breathing, if there are any you highly recommend, please do share them with me. :)

3. BMW318tds

BMW318tds New Friend

Aug 23, 2009
    Ireland
    I also had this problem when I began playing again. I found free buzzing at every available oppturnity was very benifical. Also I was not breathing properly I was seriously forcing air out and was struggling around high c. Free buzzing is great get into the habit of buzzing at every oppturnity. I would also say not to play on a tired lip as this just adds to the problem. Spend a good 5 mins aswell warming up and playing extended low notes before you start to play full hog and you will find it is not as tough.

4. hoho

hoho New Friend

Aug 18, 2009
    I will definitely try to freebuzz more!
    I believe I have traced most of my problems with this to two things. First was that I tend to tense up my shoulders. This was actually pointed out to me by my piano instructor in a lesson, and it seems that that's just where I carry my tension. Played with relaxed shoulders has helped my playing greatly.
    My second problem, and the one more directly related to the problem I had in this topic was that I was using "cool" air instead of "warm" air. It seems that the "warm" air tends to be blown more from the diaphram/lungs whereas cool air is blown from the mouth, and the muscles required to blow and buzz cool air would tense up my throat, tongue, and other facial muscles that would cause the leaking in the throat and nose. Hopefully this will help out anyone else having this problem in the future!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Don't mean to damp your enthusiasm, but success is measured in MONTHS and years, not hours and days. You will not know if this stuff really works until you are further down the road.

The diaphragm does not aid in getting the air out of your lungs. It can only contract to get air IN. The abs cause unnecessary tension, also not needed.
    Cools and warm are visualizations that can differ in interpretation from player to player.

Check back in 8-12 weeks with your progress. THEN you will have a valid story to tell!

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Very Common. After taking some time off, I had the same problem. I would try to play high and my throat would tickle and make me cough. So, I sought some advice from a trumpet playing friend. His advice was to practice low notes. He said that if I couldn't play high properly it was because I was doing something wrong with my low notes. His advice ended up being right on the money. I went back to playing low - REALLY low and worked on nothing but the lower register, I worked my way up into the higher register very slowly and practiced playing every note with the same relaxed embouchure. It worked.

My advice to you, is don't rush your range. Work on playing with the best and most relaxed sound possible. The high notes will come.

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I know exactly what you are talking about I have been there myself. exact thing. the trick is not to care about it virtually and only practice in the range where you are comfortabe. do not push the envelope so to speak. and then as you practice the muscle structure will start to grow stronger and it wont happen anymore, its basically that your throat cannot withold the pressure, because it never actually had to

8. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I think you are absolutely right Chet Fan.

This was my experience too. Of course, as some of you might have noticed, I am a huge believer in low-range practicing. When I spend time on my lower range, my aim is to make every note sound better and more relaxed then the previous one. I try to play and perfect that range of the horn, and the results in improving my range have been very successful. You would be surprised at how much better you can sound in the lower range. I think most of us just take it for granted and are too quick to move up to the higher range.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    You might also try working the James Stamp Warm-ups into your daily practice routine -- the book comes with an accompaniment CD which is essential to work with to match pitch and to do things at the right speed to get the best results.

It has you do some free-buzzing with the CD, then some mouthpiece warmups and then the same warmups with the trumpet, and then onto other things.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, then the Thompson Buzzing Book might be good instead. It also comes with an accompaniment Cd which is very helpful to play along with.

Working with the low notes to make them relaxed and easy, with almost no pressure on the mouthpiece is very helpful on the higher notes.

Patience, young grasshopper. All things come to those who work carefully and steadily.

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient. :-)

10. lpuppy79

lpuppy79 New Friend

Feb 20, 2010
    this happens to me when im sick. when im sick a i attempt to play high notes, i can feel like the air like traveling up my nose and like getting stuck. so maybe your sick with a cold or something.