air; slotting; focus; rotary trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chapmand, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My experience has been that rotaries do not like shallow mouthpieces. My experience has been that a Bach D cup will brighten up a piston trumpet in a sunshiny kind of way, yet brighten a rotary in a buzz saw kind of way. You might want to sit down with a tuner to check out the differences in intonation between your piston and rotary--playing inside a section calls for a bunch of muscle memory, and it could be you are trying to force your a's in the wrong direction.

barliman2001 likes this.
  2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    As always, VB gets the right nail for the job...

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dale, it's an interesting question and there have been some insightful replies with a lot of good information. My question to you is one that's on a different tack: why are you pushing the issue with the rotary valve trumpet and not just using a standard piston valve trumpet for use in a big band? If someone wanted me to put together a list of trumpets I thought most suitable for big band playing, I wouldn't have a rotary trumpet on the list. I probably would if someone was asking about piccolo trumpets, or trumpets for chamber or quintet playing, but not for big band. You've got a Cannonball 789RL that to me would seem to be ideal for big band, so why the push for the rotary? It just seems a bit incongruous to me.

4. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Thanks VB. Good insights and yes, I need to simply take some quality time out to listen, compare, and learn what this new horn is all about.

Trickg- thank you also for your comments. I have only the one musical outlet right now (the big band) so I guess it may appear that I am trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Regardless, George made this horn for me knowing that I play in this big band so I'm trying to give it a fair
    Kick at the can.

Also in some respects I'm enamored by the novelty too. So bear with me on this experiment.

This is only my third trumpet. The first being a king legend and then the cannonball. So my experience is not very wide with respect to types or makes of trumpet.

Thank you all for your input. Any more ideas always welcome.

Summer is soon upon me and with that perhaps a few more hours to spend with my music.
    The journey is delicious!

Regards

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Dale,
    It will work well for Big band. The horn George made you has all the tricks to get you there, and can scream if needed.

Maybe some shed time to acquaint, but my only advice is to relax when you play it, and let your sound come out cleanly. The Schlub horns are really very good.

VB's description is pretty accurate as well, I use an Asymmetric 342M Lead mpce (shallow-smaller like Bach 10 1/2) for any high solos, and it really does sound like a Buzz saw, cuts through concrete. But fun to play, and draws attention - so be prepared. I swap back to my normal mpce for section work.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    [​IMG]

The Dingo with the Lead 342M, the Opera with the Olds SuperStar, and Curry with the Killer Queen,
    AND That Stray WEDGE in the OLDS Super, is Stuart's, imaging Solar Bell's set up - Go Chuck - it works.

And a Valve Trom for some fun with Trombones.

7. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Nice assortment of horns in that photo.
    I'd love to try the killer one day.

8. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Tonight was my big band's last rehearsal for the season....
    And wouldn't you know?... I felt great, notes were singing, the top was sizzling, I was solid and accurate. It felt great.
    I hope my practice regime maintains and improves upon this for next season.
    :D

Peter McNeill likes this.