Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, May 5, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Does anyone know what" blowing a much thicker quality of air "would mean in trumpet playing thanks ,Anthony

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It means that the person saying this is trying to describe something that really doesn't exist (air "thickness" really only changes with altitude) in hopes of changing your mental picture.

When a player does not have good breath support, the sound is thin and not stable. When we get our breathing and chops together, the sound becomes richer, smoother and more stable. If you listen to any pro, you hear what that person meant: a SOLID sound.

To get that more "solid" sound, you need to work on your body use and breathing. Here is a link to get you started:
    David G. Monette Corporation

The breathing part you can check out here at TM with my "circle of breath" post. Do a search.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Focus on not over blowing but blowing the right amount of air

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I realize I may have been vague.

Get a skilled instructor to help you with this. Play every note (not in step, but in intervals) and learn what needs what where. I higher you go generally the more air you need. But for ME i don't need alot on a C one ledger above the staff, but then I'm back to alot on the D above that.

Just see what works

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sounds like the teacher wants you to blow more air. Not with force or harder but a greater volume (size) of air. The air makes everything work. Let the air do the work.

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    thank guys for your help much appreciated ,Anthony:-)