Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Juarez-MA, May 15, 2013.

1. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    What more can I say? It's important to be able to use it well.
    I think I have good breath support and I can move my air well.
    I've tried breathing exercises to improve my air capacity but I think I have a very real deficiency in that I am unable to harness air to play past a moderately strong dynamic...on any wind instrument.
    Any suggestions?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    try filling out the low register -- below the staff stuff ----- (I double on trombone which has helped with more air - IMHO) -- but also I like to play loud below the staff stuff on the trumpet, and try to make all notes FULL SOUND all the way down to the low F#. Hold them as long as you can -- deep, full breaths ---- but you need volume, and you need to release it consistency --------------------I think that will help some, because the breathing can be more relaxed below the staff, and you can translate that into "controlled release, and more capacity, or more likely MORE EFFICIENCY in the air that you do have on some of the higher stuff) ------ IMHO

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Relaxation is a huge factor. Forget about air for a while--play as loudly as you can and "push" it louder--not with your body but with your mind and listen to the results.

Have fun!

4. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    You guys are spot on.
    I should have mentioned that even my speaking voice is terribly soft. I am often frustrated that people accuse me of mumbling or simply speaking too quietly.
    I'm not shy and I swear that my yelling voice is a comfortable conversation voice.
    I take 30 minutes daily to warm up, even if I'm not going to do anything else but warm up. I buzz sirens and scales, then I play descending long tones and remingtons (always making sure I have a rich, full tone), and I end doing various lip slur exercises.
    Sometimes when my upper register has been lacking, I play within the staff a bit more and then slowly climb up. After reading a few other "help, my high register is airy" forums, I focused on my corners a bit more and my high register is happy again.
    Perhaps I relax too much! :p

5. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    As the others have stated it might be a good idea not to focus on the dynamic level at first. Having a full, big sound will naturally carry better. So if you base your dynamics on a sound that can fill up a room, maybe you'll find success in building to forte from there. Do you feel like you can't take in enough air to play loud? Or is it you feel like you can't push enough air through the horn?

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    While you need air SUPPORT, it does not take a lot of wind to blow the trumpet. I suggest you talk with your teacher or (find one who can help with this) and focus on developing efficiency.

The Mystery To Mastery book by Greg Spence might help, or Trumpeting by Nature by Jeanne Pocius.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Two suggestion come to my mind that I believe would help you immensely: 1. Join Toastmaster's International, and 2. Sign up with a good VOCAL coach (admittedly they seem as hard to find as chickens with teeth).

I warn you about Toastmasters; you will have to endure a lot of corrective chastisement in the beginning ... but many an accomplished speaker seems to climb the ladder of employment more readily. Should vocal coaching reveal that you've a decent singing voice ... don't you think such would be an asset in the music area?

8. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    I've acted since I was in middle school, I sang in mastersingers through highschool, I performed in many honors vocal ensembles, and I considered majoring as a vocalist in college.
    I have good diction, I'm only accused of mumbling because I am not often heard well.

9. Juarez-MA

Mar 14, 2012
    Right. I never focus on volume; I'm definitely not a screamer.
    Even with my students, I always stress that the tone should fill the room and that it can be done even at a piano dynamic.
    I feel like I fill up with air well so perhaps my problem is that I can push enough air through the horn.
    My mother said that I struggled to learn to speak...a speech therapist once suggested that I have my throat and chest x-rayed for any malformations of my air and vocal pathways. If something is wrong, it might be affecting my music playing.