Airplane Traveling with Horns

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    I will be leaving the country going to play with my youth orchestra and will need to take both my C and B flat trumpets and several mutes. Will I be allowed to carry on my Conn Vintage One Double Case are do I need something different?

Also please give me some suggestion keep in mind I need to take two horns and mutes.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The Conn V1 case should be allowed to go on as overhead luggage.
    A friend took hers on, it is small enough.
    Put a couple mutes in your bags.

-cw-

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i have a yamaha "heavy wall" double case from 15 years ago that i take on the plane with me. i did get the cover for it for stuff like valve oil, mutes will have to go in your backpack or suitcase (you are allowed a personal carry on such as a briefcase or a backpack along with the trumpet case) is probably best to put them is suitcase, as overzelous security folks might mistake it for a bomb. (did happen in soviet era at the bolshoi)

4. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    you'll be fine, dude. I have had security mistake my triple mouthpiece pak for detonators, though. No big deal... just takes a little explaining sometimes. Most of the security guards and X-ray cats are smart enough to realize it is a musical instrument, but there are morons out there.

V/R
    Joshua

5. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
  6. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    i had no problem just carrying on my horns in a double case.
    I put it in the over head all the time when i fly.

7. josephus07

josephus07 Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2005
    One time that I traveled, they gave me a hard time and I showed the ticket people the letter and they said something to the effect of, "That's from the TSA. They can't tell us what to allow on planes. We're American and we have our own guidelines. What do you want me to do with that letter?"

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    European carry on sizes are smaller.
    I often see americans having to check in hand luggage they brough over on transatlantic flights when they get an internal flight in the UK.
    A trumpet case is too long for carry on officially but some airlines will let it pass.
    The inconsistency is the problem because the chances of a turmpet surviving hold baggage are fairly low I woul dhave thought.
    I know someone whose guitar had ben removed from the case and deliberately stamped on until it was splinters and then the bits put back in the case.

Oh and don't do what I did:

Security: "Is there anything sharp in the bag".
    Me: "Only a dodgy G sharp".

didn;t fo down well.