Airstream / Tonguing Gadget

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mangoesbananas, Feb 26, 2012.

1. mangoesbananas

mangoesbananas New Friend

Feb 23, 2012
    At a lesson with Arturo Sandoval, he pulled out an amazing gadget that helps develop the airstream. It worked wonders, but unfortunately, Arturo couldn't remember where he got it, and I can't find it online anywhere. So, I thought I'd try to describe the gadget to this forum, with hopes that someone might know where I can get one...

The gadget consisted of two connected parts: a flat black piece of hard plastic, which was about a quarter inch thick, 5 or so inches long by maybe 2 inches wide, to which was attached a clear, thin piece of slightly-smaller plastic shaped almost like the hull of a boat. One end of this "boat" was attached to the black plastic by some sort of flexible staple/spring mechanism, and the other end of the "boat" was unattached. When Arturo tongued toward the "boat" from a couple feet away (as if he was spitting peas from his mouth), the "boat" would click against the black plastic every time. If he even slightly widened his airstream, the boat wouldn't click at all. When I tongued toward it, the "boat" barely moved. After a while, though, by really working hard to focus my airstream, I started getting it to click against the black plastic mounting piece. And then, when I played my trumpet, the sound was fatter, fuller and clearer than I've ever heard it before.

I would love to find and purchase this gadget, but, as I said, Arturo can't remember where he got it, so if anyone out there might know, I hope you'll let me know!

Thanks so much...

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Sounds good. I want one. Can you go back and put Arturo under hypnosis? :D

Btw, how was the lesson, overall? And, since it looks like your first post ...... :sorry:

Oooops.:oops: That's for after I accidentally insult you ...... Here, try this .............................................:welcome:

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. mangoesbananas

Feb 23, 2012
    The lesson with Arturo was excellent. It was like going to a top-level doctor who could instantly see the problems that needed fixing and then offered solutions that really worked. I just wish he could remember where he got the airstream device!!

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well, you know how those geniuses are, they can play rings around normal humans in their sleep, but can't remember where they got an interesting trumpet aid. It really does sound like an interesting device.

Turtle

5. mangoesbananas

Feb 23, 2012
    Yes, you're right about that!

I'm going to see if I can get him to take a photo of it, which I'll then post here. Maybe that will help it to be found!

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Good idea!

Turtle

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Is there any way you can perhaps draw a picture and post, of said gadget? Intriguing.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah, I know, I'm good that way! It's a gift!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Purchase a wooden yardstick and drill 1/8" holes in it at every inch. Stick a small slim 2" tall feather in a hole and from the beginning blow from the one inch end. When you've perfected a blow that will cause the feather to waver at the 35" hole, you'd do well enough. Same concept my pulmonologist uses with a tissue he holds away from me. The difference is I don't need a narrow air stream to cause the tissue to waver at 3', but I can't make it waver at 6'.