Airstream

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mr.Motown, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Mr.Motown

Mr.Motown New Friend

Mar 15, 2009
    detroit michigan
    Hello all, I had a question about the direction of one's airstream while playing. Ive noticed that the direction of my airstream is not straight. For an easy visual, if 3 oclock is straight, mine is at about 5 oclock. My question is does this matter? Ive taken some private lessons and my instructor says this does not matter, but ive heard other wise. Any thoughts on this? Thanx.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I think if you look at other players you’ll see the majority are not straight. It has to do with how your oral cavity is set up, not how straight your horn is in relation to your body. So are you comfy at 5 ? full sound ? Flexibility ? etc… if you are then this is probably a good place for you. Is there a better place…..maybe. But without seeing you play determinations are just a guess : ) Don’t be afraid to experiment with different positions, you may find something that feels better. The best is to find a teacher that is knowledgeable and can help you with this. No doubt if you search there’s most likely other posts on here about airstream.
    Good Luck with it !! :-)

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't think anyone has a straight airstream - mine is downsteam, but I know a few guys who have upstream airstreams. This can be determined with a clear lexan mouthpiece and observing where it fogs up first when you play.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    What you seem to be talking about is up-stream and down-stream blowing.Most players are one or the other. I've never met any players that claimed to be straight-streamers.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are enough other things to be concerned about. If you have a decent daily routine, your face will gravitate to its most efficient position. If you practice enough, you feel and hear it.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I never paid much attention to airstream until I got my GR mp ... I know if I my embrouchure setup was different with the Bach. I can tell when my airstream is too high ... most of the time it's just a quick adjustment to find the place where the horn sounds best.. then it's back to business.
    Your ears should be the determining factor.

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Worry more about the sound that you get and the efficiency of your playing and you will be working on the things that matter. Being upstream or downstream is not the issue.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I just blow into the mpc and it can only come out the other end as long as my lips make a seal -- so I am pretty sure I am STRAIGHT on thatROFLROFLROFL