Airy E

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Nov 28, 2013.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Any advise on a very airy sounding E on the staf? I have a 59' Committee that suddenly developed an airy sound while playing the E. Funny but the A is fine. I use cork water keys, the valves are aligned Ok. Thanks

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sounds like a water key issue.

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Simple test; pull out 1st valve slide, plug open end with finger, blow with said valve depressed and listen for hiss from water key. Some guys fill the tuning slide with water first and see if it leaks out while doing this.

4. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks, I tried this with all valves but only hiss I hear is comming slightly from each valve. I have to blow hard though.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Pull the main slide, cover one end and blow in.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi 9horn,
    You asked:
    "Any advise on a very airy sounding E on the staf? I have a 59' Committee that suddenly developed an airy sound while playing the E. Funny but the A is fine. I use cork water keys, the valves are aligned Ok.
    -----------
    The E is a squirrly note and sometime to get it in tune, using the 12 instead of open works. However, intonantion isn't the problem. After you've checked external possibilities(cork, sprung waterkey, ect..) make sure you are keeping your embrouchure in check (don't let your aperture spread too much). Also, be sure to support the note with good air. When you play, pretend the sound is shooting out of your horn like a big fat laser to the person in the very back of the room. Also, be sure you're not pinching off the sound with pressure. Sound comes from vibration. If it's not mechanical, then what's stopping the lips from vibrating(occilating)? For me, getting an airy tone is just one more tool in my tool box. With some songs I go soft at the end with vibrato and let the note disappear with only the sound of air and vibrato going through the horn. It's a really neat effect I learned off of a sax player. Hope this helps, good luck.
    Dr.Mark

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Learnt off a sax player? How low have you sunk?

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Learnt off a sax player? How low have you sunk?
    ------------
    Phil Woods said it would be good for me to know. Little did I know the company I was keeping!
    Dr.Mark

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I can hear the conversation now: "Don't go changing to try and please me. You never let me down before. I took the good times, I'll take the bad times. I take you just the way you are" And the rest they say is history.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Heck, I don't know who I've stolen....err.....aquired more licks from, Phil or Clark Terry.
    I've yet to hear an alto sax player that can best him. When you hear him, you know who it is.
    Must listen list are:
    Phil Woods Live at the Showboat
    Images w/ LeGrand
    Phil Woods and Carl Saunders
    ----
    Dr.Mark