Airy Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Apr 24, 2008.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I try to practice for an hour-hour and a half per day. Most days, I start off playing great and feeling good but about half way through, I start getting air notes and my lips feel very tight and tough... I'm trying to use less pressure but I don't know if that is the right solution... Thanks in Advance!:-)

2. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you rest often? Sounds like you're just beating your face up. Rest between each exercise, and after every 15-20 minutes, put the horn down for a few minutes. You want to promote suppleness in the chops...they need to be able to recover a little bit through the workout.

Paul

3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    One thing I used to do when this happened to me, was just play 30 min segments. Sometimes I would wait an hour or two between each one.

4. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    split your session into two 45min segments. Rest 1-2 hrs. inbetween. Add more soft playing to your practice. Do a light day everyother day, continue the 1.5 hrs. but practice Clarkes, etc. at pp. You should begin to notice things getting better. Don't pound your chops because you feel better.

I feel getting a practice session down that is enough but not to much is tricky for me. Consistent work, while thinking, changing practice sessions to fit your present development. Always trying to develop and move forward is the goal. For me it aint easy. Keep working.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The major sins of practicing are the wrong order and not paying enough attention.

The right order says that you intelligently structure your time to: get your face together, play music, work out technique. That happens to be a very good arrangement as you play music when you are fresh and the killer stuff where it will not kill your musicality!

If you are REALLY getting 3 whole hours of QUALITY time in, 2 1/2 should be no louder than mezzo piano! I question the ability to regularly concentrate 3 hours at a whack. Poor concentration=poor attention to playing=wipes your face out. 4 x 45 minute super concentrated sessions with adequate breaks will help you develop MUCH faster.

I don't think pressure is the problem.

6. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Thank You! This works out much better for me lip wise

7. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, ditto this definately. And to be honest, I have used advise on the Trumpetmaster forums to find a really well suited routine for myself. I split my work up into time periods rather than trying to get everything done all at once. I do a warmup and scale studies after breakfast. I do music after lunch, and then I do sound produciton and flexibility after dinner. I could do articulation or first attacks after dinner, but flexibility is my big concern right now. However, I will not vary from working out of the Schlossberg book every day. By the way, most of my work is done at piano to mezzo piano. I think that this is very important. Low volumes require a very mature embouchure and technique, in my opinion. You should play "out" during your day, but recognize that you need to focus your "trumpet playing aperatus" as well..... meaning your embouchure. Low volume practice will definately help you with that.

Alright, all that aside. Sounds like you really are beating your face up. You may not get everything done in a session that you wanted to get done, but when your face starts feeling funky, put the horn down and walk away.

thanks, and have a nice day....