Airy Sound Problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetSaiyan777, Feb 13, 2012.

1. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    So I've been having issues with airy sound ever since my cork fell out of my spit valve after Marching Season. I had a temporary "fix", and it was replaced with some black rag-like cushion material, obviously not cork. And I'm very fluent with cleanliness, but there's a slightly annoying airy sound to it and I'm not sure if it's my technique that's causing it or the fact that I don't have a cork at the end of my spit valve. I thought it'd be important to bring up, since a judge will definitely nail me on that, and I plan on making first chair Wind Ensemble! Please help! :play:

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Hmm-wow this is a tricky one.

I dunno....Just a wild guess here....but maybe......you need a new piece of cork? :-?

3. TrumpetSaiyan777

Dec 4, 2011
    Well I'm getting a new cork piece anyway tomorrow morning, I'm just not sure if that's actually the problem...

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Friend was having similar issues, their waterkey cork was worn as well. Put a little pressure on it, which sealed it up, and it sounded fine.

I don't THINK that you would have a sudden airy-ness appear in your sound, so the cork seems like the logical choice to me, as well. Never know until you fix it though..

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Hope the new cork works out for you.

6. TrumpetSaiyan777

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks alot! I had a new cork replacement and my tone quality is tons better! I'm not really sure how it really loosened up, but if it ever happens again I'll know what to do! Thanks again for the help!