Airy sound today/ Embouchure doesn't vibrate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 17, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I'm having a bad day today. Notes are really airy and my embouchure feels tired and just doesn't vibrate. I have an audition tomorrow! Help!

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Rest

coolerdave likes this.
  3. soluna1

soluna1 New Friend

Jan 15, 2012
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, defnitely rest. The other thing you want to think about is keeping your embouchure firm while keeping your throat area relaxed. A lot of players with this problem have a weak embouchure. You can't fix something like that by tomorrow, but it may be something to work on later. After your audition you might be interested in trying my B.E.T. method. It gives you a good solid foundation for playing. However, I wouldn't change anything for the audition.

4. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    The problem was just today.

coolerdave likes this.
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The SYMPTOM may be just today. The PROBLEM was most likely yesterday - played too hard or ate too much salt/caught a cold.

I would play a lot of long tones very softly to get the face jump started. Your audition tomorrow is tomorrow. Just play it. Don't overdo it today.

Players that play consistently know what they do every day. They can point to things that may make the following day easier and harder, and most of all, with that knowldedge, stay with boundaries. As you offer the symptom with NO information, you just have to take it as it comes until smart decisions become part of your playing.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with the above, don't overanalyze at this time... just chock it up to a learning experience, and not a bad day. Actually there was a thread on bad days. No such thing! Just rest and then play on.

7. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    When you are in school, you cram for several days before a big test to make sure you get the best grade you can. We sometimes have a tendency to take the same approach to the horn to "cram" for a big audition or concert. In doing so, we can overdo it, overworking our chops to the point where we've actually done them harm. If this is what's going on, only rest will cure it. If you're young, maybe a day or so. If you're older, maybe longer.

Rowuk's advice is right on. (Just once, I'd like to see him wrong.)

-John

8. thatsmagic83

thatsmagic83 New Friend

Dec 6, 2011
    Agreed!

Just razz out a load of low tones, don't worry about quality just to loosen everything off then rest up.

Good luck with the audition!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    rowuk just once, to see him wrong... hope not, that would mean the universe is out a balance... or ended... that would not be cool... and related to that, rowuk, what is your prediction on December 22, 2012... I mean will all of our collective embouchures still be vibrating after that date?

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    A bad trumpet day is normally a sign of a bad day, period.

Concern about an upcoming audition, or any other thing to stress yourself will reflect in your trumpet playing. Take it easy, remind yourself of why you love to play the trumpet - maybe think about the excitement you had when you got your first instrument. Don't dwell on the last fight you had with your mother/sibling/wife...

coolerdave likes this.