Airy sound today/ Embouchure doesn't vibrate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Do you have a B.E.R.P.? If so, play easy low long tones, pedal tones and use the BERP to buzz through your audition pieces. Rest a lot and play very little, use the whole day to "massage" your embouchure. Total abstaining will stiffen embouchure. Also, did you make any mouthpiece changes recently? This is an effect of new equipment as well.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It happens every day. TM is pretty safe though because I don't post about what I hear, only things that I have done or have first hand proof for. The tone of some posts is sub optimal.

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    So........how did it go?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND YET NOT ONE OF US CAN EVEN KNOW WHAT TOMORROW MAY BRING!!!!!!!!!! ----ROFL ROFL ROFL and if the world really ends then, then why waste are time trying to practice to try to be perfect???????????????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

and YES OP -- rest, and go on and play another day!!!!!!!!!!

5. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I concur totally

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There ARE NO BAD trumpet days, just that some are better than others. I mean, you're playing a trumpt. It does not get any better than that.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problem is that the Mayan clock is not the same as ours. Around their midnight, even sax players will have the ability to play a double C for about 6 seconds. The first one to do it will have to become the Mayan sacrifice within 24 hours. If this person is not sacrificed, our chops go back to normal for the next 6000 years.

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    This is why i always recommend you cats WRITE DOWN HOW MUCH YOU PLAY during the week. Then plan the course of the next few weeks. The chops can only take so much physical load before losing their peak ability to sustain the air vibrations.

Do something like this (my own schedule):

Last week:

Mon: am no practicing as I had a heavy lead trumpet rehearsal the same night.

Tues: Am no playing. Concert band slide trombone.

Wed: Off to recuperate from the larger trombone mouthpiece/heavy performance the nite before.

Thurs. Am off. Evening heavy lead trumpet rehearsal.

Fri: AM off. Evening moderate practice, scales, Clarke Studies.

Sat: Same as Fri.

Sun: light performance at church mass.

This week:

Mon. AM off. heavy lead trumpet gig evening.

Tues: AM off. Moderate to heavy rehearsal on Euphonium evening.

Wed: Off as I generally won't practice the trumpet the day after a heavy low brass performance when a heavy gig follows the next day.

Thurs: AM Off. Heavy R & B gig evening.

I will likely play mildly on Fri so as not to burden my chops unduly from the day before.

OK taken in this light I will remain very unlikely to hurt or otherwise swell my chops in the future. At least not to the point where air would get in the tone. You could say that I'm in decent shape chop-wise. had I been playing out six nights a week I would be stronger but there would probably be fewer practice sessions during the day. At my current state of development my goal is maintenance not pushing the envelope such as the O/P is.

The O/P is in a confused state (as we all get from time to time) because he isn't aware of the cumulative effect of over training on his system. Again: WRITE DOWN HOW MUCH YOU PLAY. It's like the fourth step in one of those silly but helpful AA 12 step programs.

Also knowing how to use a decent screamer piece for heavy playing applications can save you a bundle in endurance. Metal being stronger than lip.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh my, we MUST do anything to protect our chops!!! Does the sax sacrifice need to be a virgin? I mean where are WE to find a virgin sax player!!?? Too bad Kingtrumpet doesn't play sax!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What did the Mayans know??? They're not even around anymore. :dontknow:

For an airy sound ..... (that is to say, If you don't want an airy sound) .... Try doing some loose lip flapping to warm up. Lips that vibrate more freely are less likely to say bad things ... I mean, to have an airy sound.:-?

Turtle