Airy sound today/ Embouchure doesn't vibrate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 17, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The other option is that you develop a unique style of playing where an airy sound is considered "sensual" or "cool". Probably easier than straightening a practice routine out.............

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    My first teacher told me "you'll have good days and bad days. the trick is to be so good that a bad day is still a good day". Had a huge influence on me

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I heard a sax player the other day ---- with all those Squawks, I thought it was a sacrifice, but it was only a C scale ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sounds like local357 is NOT playing most of the time ROFL ROFL ROFL

HEY OP -- you still need to practice !!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Hahaha .... I think this has actually worked for some. Besides, it's not "airy" it's "ethereal". :roll:

There are a handful of very NASAL singers who have parlayed that "fault" into lucrative careers. Willie Nelson and Michael MacDonald, for two examples. Especially MacDonald, who is often celebrated for his "great voice". I think Michael has a very appealing voice. But, it's also nasal as can be ..... which is something most teachers would try and work out of a student's voice. Everyone's different, my voice isn't the slightest bit nasal, which caused my teacher to say, "Thank God for that!" (I had/have other problems ...). Apparently, it's not that easy to get rid of.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012