Airy Sound with High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by carteru93, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Elli21486

Elli21486 New Friend

Jan 1, 2008
    Massachusetts, ESA
    I should try this as well. I can reach Double C and Double D but only after trying to get there, as in using the Chromatic scale to get there. I can not, however, hit the note when started to play it.

2. claminator

claminator New Friend

Jun 18, 2008
    I agree with Rowuk, However, don't practice too long on a wasted face because you wil start to develop unhealthy habits.
    Use common sense, and when your face gets tired try to still employ good habits of support and heathly amounts of body tension.

Goodluck!
    ps is it me or are people really concerned with Double C I mean, is this where all the best MUSIC is being made? I guess I 'm missing out.

Clammster

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Double C is a waste of time unless the 3 1/2 octaves below it can make a killer musical statement.

When I hear trumpet players sqeaking around, I check out the faces of potential girl or boyfriends listening. I never see a smile of approval............... Squeaking is so uncool!

4. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    ^^^^^^^^

I could not agree with that post any more if I tried.

Generally speaking, most trumpet players use unnecessary high notes to try and impress. What these guys need to do is learn to make an EXpression, and THEN they will make IMpressions.

5. claminator

claminator New Friend

Jun 18, 2008
    Exactly!!!

We play trumpet to make music. When I hear of highschool kids talking about range above F or G above high C I cringe...
    There is so much more to what we do than picking off or squeaking off a couple mp high notes.
    When you can play high C PPP, PP, P MP, MF F ,FFF PPP to FFF and back, in tune with a great sound then go from there. Going about it any other way seems like a waste of time if you ask me.

Clammster

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Thank you Clamy!

7. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    I agree with you 100%.

Another problem with young trumpet players, is that they don't know how to develop their range properly. They will buy any kind of Jet tone, V cup, or lead mouthpiece just for the soul purpose of playing higher. Without considering the other aspects of how the piece may affect their playing (thin tone, loss of endurance, discomfort to the embouchure, ect). They jump into experimenting with all kinds of lead mouthpieces long before they are developed enough in their skills as a trumpeter.

8. carteru93

carteru93 New Friend

Jun 16, 2008
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    Just want to clarify that range is NOT my sole trumpet playing purpose. I'm still as equally if not more concerned with tone and musicality in my lower range as in my extreme high range. I do however enjoy playing some Ferguson and Sandoval charts, so range is a plus unless I want to bring it down and octave (in my opinion untasteful when done to a classic scream piece). I play on a normal 11B4 Yamaha and a 7C Bach mouthpiece, NOT a super small, super shallow mouthpiece with the sole purpose of playing higher. I am VERY concerned with developing my tone and musicality in the lower to mid-high registers, and ALSO in the upper to extreme register to play those select charts.:-)

9. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    Thanks for sharing. Its great to know that you have the right idea about all of the aspects of trumpet playing. I feel the same way that you do when it comes to this subject. And I'm sure that a lot of people will agree with our outlook on this. :cool:

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I tend to avoid pieces with screamin' high notes for three reasons:

i. I quite dislike the sound,
    ii. I have worked around high pitched gas turbine engines all my life and I quite dislike there upper range too - I like the low rumble like an empty belly though, and
    iii. I have difficulty staying up there.

Did I say I don't like the sound?