airy sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decentplayer, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Ok peeps, I just got a new flugelhorn. I don't know if it's just me, but, it has a very airy sound, like I hear more of the air coming through the bell. What is this?? Does this mean I bought a piece of crap? You can tell me. Is it the size of the room I'm playing in or the mouthpiece?

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    It's a new horn, to you, and a very different one from your trumpet. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but it sounds like you don't have much experience playing flugelhorn. Unless you've bought a piece of utter rubbish (or if your mouthpiece is lousy), give yourself some time to become acquainted with your new friend.

Please do post the brand of your flugelhorn and mouthpiece. I'm sure that will bring down a torrent of advice. But as long as your horn and mouthpiece aren't terrible, I suspect you simply haven't adjusted to playing flugel. Give yourself a chance to learn before judging.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No worries,
    A flugelhorn is not as "resonant" as a trumpet. That means that the vibrant column of air in the instrument does not support your embouchure as well and that air is in fact escaping through the lips without being turned into sound. Once you have spent some time with the horn, this should go away!

4. Decentplayer

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Thanks guys. I will practice and hopefully in time, notice a change. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  5. Decentplayer

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I got the new mouthpiece and that was definately the problem. Much better now. Thanks to all who answered.

6. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    Seems like the rounder the inside of the rim of a mouthpiece, the more fuzzy your sound gets. Some people sound fuzzier than others anyways. Some people like a little fuzz!

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Just remember that it isn't a trumpet, so don't play it like one. Practice it as well as practicing trumpet. A lot of people just pick flugel up when it is written in a chart, and they just sound like a trumpet when they play it.