Airy Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Apr 20, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Lately when I've been playing I've experience a weird sound. I've never had this problem before. But when I play it kind of sounds like the out side of my lips are buzzing outside the piece. It's kind of annoying and I wish for it to stop. How do I stop it? Will it effect my playing? Should I be worried?

Thanks

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Don't worry, I think it is fatigue.
    It will go away on it's own when your chops get stronger. Take a break, 20 minutes, when this occurs.

Firm up your corners.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Thanks
    Yeah, the kid that usually sits by my constantly has this happen. And from close up it sounds horrible, I just want to know if you can hear it from a distance away.

4. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    The short answer is yes... you can usually hear it at a distance as well because your sound is not coming through efficiently.

Airy sounds usually stem from the lips being set or forced too far apart. Try using a closer lip setting and play DOWN into the center of the pitch by relaxing the lips and pushing your air stream with your abs. DO NOT tense up your lips as this will only add to sound problems, fatigue, range issues, etc.

Good luck -

Keith
    Brass Player Solution: Lessons, Videos, Music Stands, Help for Trumpet and Trombone players

5. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

Yes, and how do they become too far apart? We set on a high note, play well, take a breath............................ what happened? Did we take a breath through our mouth?

If we did, did we take a breath through one open corner, two open corners,or,did we do the unmentionable?

Did we "bounce" the mouthpiece off our lips, inhale, and return before we set our chops?................oh my,.............

Folks.....the mouthpiece will pin your lips open and you will be helpless until you finish your phrase and take another breath.

What I like to do when possible........Suck air through ONE open corner. this keeps your chops set. Learn to suck in air not only through one corner, but also through your nose at the same time, if you need more air, faster.

6. Keith Fiala

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    When you are setting up, try to keep in mind that your air stream doesn't need to be any larger than a fine piece of silk thread. Keeping your lips set in a relaxed manner and playing down in to the center of the pitch will help you achieve the best sound possible.

You can practice this by pushing your tuning slide in and playing long tones IN TUNE with a tuner... helps you start to adjust to playing lower on any given pitch.

Keith Fiala
    Brass Player Solution: Lessons, Videos, Music Stands, Help for Trumpet and Trombone players

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Thanks
    The problem went away, I just hope it stay there too :p

The kid next to me still has it happen though
    it's getting really annoying :(

8. Keith Fiala

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Spirit,

Offer to help him out... give him the link to this thread that you've created.

Keith

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    yeah I should do that!
    I tried helping him yesterday
    it didn't work though :(

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It can be caused by a couple of different things. That means that not everybody benefits the next day. Mature (I mean well practiced, not old) chops just need a short break. Bad habits need reorientation. Reduction of testosterone is good advice for pubescent players. Long tones, slurs and easy tunes played VERY softly.