Airy sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Newengland2012, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Newengland2012

Newengland2012 New Friend

Apr 6, 2011
    Ive noticed over the past few months that ive begun to develop an airy sound. ive tried adjusting my embochure, deeper and shallower mouthpieces, and playing longtones and lipslures until i couldnt stand them. ive simply run out of ideas on what could b causing this. i dont believe there is an air leak in my horn, but i may be wrong. suggestions please? im stumped. :dontknow:

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    To rule out the horn simply let someone else try it with their mpc. If it suddenly sounds fine then its you. If it sounds airy for them then you know. While your friend is playing your horn, try his and see if the problem followed you. Best wishes and good luck.

3. Dragon98987

Dragon98987 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2010
    I've found that lead-pipe buzzing helps clear up your sound.

4. kevhall999

kevhall999 New Friend

Mar 2, 2010
    What is this?

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Playing with the tuning slide removed.

--bumblebee

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    along with mouthpiece buzzing

7. Dragon98987

Dragon98987 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2010
    When you lead-pipe buzz you take out your tuning slide and just play on the lead-pipe. When you do this you should be trying to get the clearest sound you can out of your lead-pipe by adjusting your embouchure (it won't sound pretty). Once you feel that you have gotten the clearest sound you can repeat a couple more times, each time trying to get the clearest sound you can. After that you can try slurring up to the next note on your lead-pipe and trying to get the clearest sound on that note too. I think that the interval between the first and second notes is a 9th. After you feel that you've accomplished that, you can slur up to the next note and do the same thing. I think that the interval between the 2nd and 3rd notes is close to a 4th or a 5th.

8. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Try different rim sizes. For me, with a larger rim sizes (below ~6 (e.g 5,3,1 1/2)), my mouth creates too large an aperture and I get an airy sound when I warm up, but goes away as my lips swell. Above about 7 or or 8, it's vice versa, no airy sound to start out with, and after lip swelling, airy sound. See what I mean? Try to figure out which problem you're having, if that is it. If not, you could have weak chops, let someone else play your trumpet.

9. Newengland2012

Newengland2012 New Friend

Apr 6, 2011
    Thank you for all the suggestions, ill try it