"Airy" Trumpet Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Sometimes when I play, I get this airy sound along with my trumpet note. Why is this? How can I fix? Also I am having trouble starting notes I get sort of air then note. :dontknow:

2. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Just a dumb little thing to check before you start searching for other problems... make sure your water keys/spit valves are working properly! If they are traditional type make sure that the cork or pad is there and that the spring is in good shape with enough tension to stay closed. If they're amados make sure they aren't getting stuck.

You might have already done this but I have read at least one very similar post where a bunch of people offered up advise and then the OP realized that a water key wasn't functioning. OOOOPS!

Good luck!

3. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    That isn't the problem. It happens on all trumpets i use. :-?

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Use more air.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Haha, I like this response.

The reason you are hearing air is because some of the air you are blowing isn't being vibrated into sound. I have heard of this occurring most often when the lips are slightly too far apart when playing. Perhaps try to get them a little closer together, and you may find success.

ADD: This seems very likely, as it sounds like when you articulate the lips are starting too far apart (the air) and then they are reaching closer together and finally producing the sound when they become close enough to vibrate.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Use more air is the best thing you can do. I saw your post about a practice mute, are you trying to be quiet?

7. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Here's a post by another member on a similar topic:
    "keep in mind you should have the aperture (lips) closed enough to feel vibration and yet open enough to get good sound -- it takes patience and concentration --hope that helps"

And yes Cody, air is good. However, if the air isn't all vibrating, it doesn't make much sense to add more! ;)

8. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    No, I'm just trying to fix alot of my trumpet problems over winter break for school. I need a mute so I can practice in my apartment.

9. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    I'm going to try different mouthpieces.

10. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Why would you do that?
    Don't blame the hardware!