"Airy" Trumpet Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Dec 13, 2011.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

NO! Use what you normally do. Dont be afraid of volume, blast in your apartment if you want. You are getting an airy sound because you are playing to softly. Mark was getting into the science of playing when you should just play with more air. Try it.

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Air in the tone is generally caused by weakness, inefficiency or underdevelopment. Or possibly due to certain matters of chop placement. Those who've recently changed the position of the mouthpiece on the lips or some other placement matter can be prone to air in the sound too. Conversely sometimes a slight embouchure adjustment may get rid of the air in the tone.

The most common one to be suspicious of is over training. This would fall into the category of "weakness". It doesn't necessarily mean that a given trumpet player has weak chops (although it might be). Only that he has gone beyond his threshold of sustainable performance.

Maynard did this often but that was because he took his performance to his own physical limit. So you're in good company.

In general shifting the playing burden onto the outer facial muscles and corners will strengthen the chops and get rid of the air in the tone. As well as other problems.

3. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Try to get a good buzzing sound, just with the mouthpiece. Practice without the trumpet. If you have a nice buzzzz on the mouthpiece try it on the trumpet. You will be amazed. Do not use a lot of pressure on the lips.

One thing i do is buzz with the lips and place the mouthpiece on the lips while buzzing. On and off, on and off. I go with Mark that you don't need to blame it on the hardware.

4. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    I wanted to change for a while. My Bach 3c feels alittle small.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    What are you switching to, anything bigger will make your tone very airy because you cant handle a 3C. Just stick with the 3C and get a good tone on that first.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Posted by kingtrumpet in another thread about this same question:

keep in mind you should have the aperture (lips) closed enough to feel vibration and yet open enough to get good sound -- it takes patience and concentration --hope that helps

7. tjer52

tjer52 New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    Yeah man. I will aggree with Mark. It sound like your lips are too far apart when you blow and in a sense creating the airy sound. I had the same problem and I'm working it. Practise playing with a tight apature. That is lips together more. It may feel strange at first but the end result will be nice warm sound.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Dont play with your lips to close either. Or your tone wont be as good.

9. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Never blame the hardware. Blame Cody. Or Toby.

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Wha..Wha...What?????:shock: