"Airy" Trumpet Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Dec 13, 2011.

1. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    What? It's what I do. Works well for me. Expect some hate mail though, that lady was PISSED.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I dont like to point the finger, but....

IT WAS ALL TOBY'S IDEA!

3. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    How does one explain this...

I tried a Strad 37, 43 and 72. Out of them 3 the 43 seems to have air blowing out the bell, the 72 less so, the 37 none at all.

It just seems that trumpet works differently and causes that to happen?

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes, that's happened on my 4335 before, it was strange. But this player mentions an airy tone and attack, and that it occurs consistently on different trumpets

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Could be something with the trumpet. Like a cork, the biggest problem.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Using more air will only make things worse. Practice very softly,with out pressing. You can't really control your aperture,the air forms your aperture when it passes through your lips.

7. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I was thinking that he may be setting with his aperture formed prior to air, what do you think? I did that in my past playing, and that's what I was meaning with setting the lips closer together.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    You don't control your aperture, your air flow does. We set the lips touching like when saying M, when we blow air through lips, the air determines the size of our aperture .This is why soft playing is so beneficial,it prevents the lips from spredding,playing too loud will have the tendency to spred the lips(aperture) giving you an airy tone and hurting your flexibility.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay here you go ...Mark's analysis is right on... the air is passing through and you aren't getting enough buzz..
    Cody is not wrong that if you blow harder you will get more vibration/buzz but it really won't fix the problem.. it will cover it up.
    My suggestion is to try to get as much buzz with as little air as possible... which means playing soft.. really soft long tones.
    When I don't warm up my lips don't buzz efficiently and I get that airy sound
    IF I DON'T PRACTICE EVERYDAY my chops will be tight and I will produce an airy tone.
    so IMHO ... if you don't have a good warm up routine... find one .. and then practice everyday. and make sure you have a segment dedicated to long tones... soft ones
    Find a teacher .. find a teacher.. find a teacher

10. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    +1