Al Cass Oil for Slides?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 22, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well I finally bought 3 bottles of Al Cass for each of my piston valved horns.
    It is printed Valve,slide and key oil. Can you actually use this instead of slide grease?

2. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    It is valve oil. Use it on your valves. Nuff said.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    My preference for valves both piston and rotary is Ultra Pure, does not evaporate as fast as the Al Cass I had. For tuning and slides not required for fast adjustment Red Ampol lithium grease, waterproof and temperature stable, does not soften in hot weather, a 1 lb tin cost me 45 cents 40 years ago, I have not used half the tin yet. For 1st and third slides Stihl Chainsaw Bar Oil, the slickest and longest lasting I have found in 30 years.

Tony Scodwell makes his own valve oil, Lamp oil and Automatic transmission fluid I think, I have yet to try this. I have been successful in using a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and Auto transmission fluid as a penetrant and release agent for stuck slides.

Regards, Stuart.

4. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    I am a huge fan of Ultr-pure, but the OP seems to have started another thread with a vague, somewhat puzzling topic, and header comment. I have used the transmission oil trick. I am also a huge fan of the ultrapure greases... though I find the Hetman slide oil is very good for fast moving slides. I have encouraged Ken Saul to develope somethign similar with his tried and true formula though. Only time will tell.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Can you use Valve oil instead of Slide Grease? No, Using valve oil only on a slide would not be a great idea IMO.

PM Ivan - he sells a great slide lube called Magic slide Grease. If it is a little too thick, a drop of valve oil will thin it.

I normally use Ultrapure, but have used Magic Valve oil as well for Oiling the valves. Nothing wrong with AlCass, but I moved away from it a long time back, as it does not stay in the horn for long when stored. I oil before and try to oil valves again before storing in the case.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I use Ultrapure Greases as well, the Heavy on my Main, and the Light Grease on all other slides.
    I used Ivan's (Jaeger) Magic, it worked on all the slides as well. It is a thinner type, but not too thin, so covers all bases.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Al Cass, and most valve oils are meant for fast slides, 1st and 3rd, and of course valves. It would be a mistake to use it on the tuning slide. You don't want that to move fast or on it's own (and on the floor! :oops: ). The tuning slide and 2nd slide should get grease of some sort to keep them in place where you put them.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Don't assume all greases are thick, high viscosity types. Once they start moving, they're as slick (in theory) as the base oil used in them, which can be quite light.

9. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Ultrapure heavy is great, but I HATE it when I get some on my fingers …

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC