Al, Doc, and Life

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by ecarroll, Aug 17, 2005.

1. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Call me an idealist (moi?), but I've always considered advanced musical training to be about making art rather than pursuit of a vocation. That said, great artists often find their vocation in the same.

Each teacher has his/her own way of meeting this challenge. There are as many approaches to the subject as there are teachers. . . more, when you factor in the individual needs of each student. My own might be described as a American/Euro hybrid (Stevie Burns calls this approach "American Air with European Flair", which I love). Details will emerge here over time, if asked.

Until then, this photo of Al and Doc should hold you over. . .

[​IMG]

:lol:

Best,
    EC

"People are cheated out of the experience of 'becoming.' It's the computer which becomes now. People think 'Oh, boy, wait until I get this new program.' Bill Gates will give you a program to write a perfect Shakespearean sonnet. For God's sake, that's not becoming. People should practice an art in order to make their souls grow and not to make money or become famous. Paint a picture! Write!"
    -Kurt Vonnegut

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That photo is too funny! I'm saving that down into my personal archives!

Do you think that Al and Doc thought they were being artistic in that moment in time? :lol:

Great post Ed!

3. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    Why do they have those hats on :?:

4. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Trickg,

There's no way of telling for sure, but both could get away with interpreting "art" in any form that they wished! :cool:

One of my former CalArts students sent me that photo, suggesting that it looked like one of our graduate recitals (or the party afterwards) (no, actually more like the recital)

:D

EC

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I can't help it

but that pic of Doc and Al is making me laugh so hard, my tummy hurts! LOLOLOL! :-P Thanks for posting that Ed.

Also, I really like the "American Air with European Flair"....short and to the point while speaking volumes. :thumbsup:

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    *Wants a viking hat now*

:lol:

Van

7. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Half time show, football game between the Vikings and the Redskins in the 70's.

Just a guess!

Or a really great party that the rest of the pictures may not be something we could really show here......... :oops:

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Hmmm, Al was a low-lip player. :lol:

Van

9. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    Your right, I didn't realise that the first time I looked at the picture. ;-)

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    It looks like doc is playing out of his nostril.