Al Hirt (Albums)

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Horn of Praise, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    In the last 2+ weeks I have not only found six (6) Herb Alpert/TJB albums, but I have also "scored" five (5) from Al Hirt:

"Honey In The Horn"..............1963

"The Happy Trumpet".............1966

"They're Playing Our Song"....1966

"Cotton Candy"......................1964

"The Sound of Christmas"......1965

I'm still looking for "The Horn Meets The Hornet". I know it's available on e-bay, but...it's more fun "finding a deal". Although Al Hirt is usually considered "commercial", his playing can be so fluid and melodic, especially on the album "They're playing Our Song". He can really get a great sound out of that Jet-Tone mouthpiece. I now have a whole new appreciation for his gift.

Be well.

2. dauminator3

dauminator3 Pianissimo User

I like hitting the garage sales. I recently found a new record player and am having lots of fun finding cool cheap records. I now have at least 7 Al Hirt albums including Honey in the Horn and Cotton Candy. I also have this awesome Herbie Hancock quartet album featuring Wynton. Lots of fun....

Jared

3. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi Jared,

Yes, "Honey In The Horn" is awesome! If you don't have "They're Playing Our Song", pick it up if you can. Al's horn is sweet, mellow, and rich...on a Jet-Tone mouthpiece...INCREDIBLE!!!

All the best.

4. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    I always enjoyed "Super Jazz", the live recording of Al's and Pete Fountain's bands recorded during the celebrations surrounding New Orleans hosting their first Super Bowl.

Two monster talents at the top of their game having a blast. Fountain holds a note for a ridiculous time then proclaiming "I think I HOIT myself" is worth the cost of the LPs.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland