Al Norton

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joelhall, Aug 29, 2010.

1. joelhall

joelhall New Friend

Mar 18, 2009
    First of all, apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.
    Al Norton, a fine musician from Lynden Washington, trumpet/organ/keyboard, passed away on June 15th 2010. I have known Al since 1970 and the last time we played together was December 2009.
    He left behind a fully restored Olds trumpet and cornet. As best I can tell they were manufactured in the late 50s. For obvious reasons his widow, Penny Norton, would like to know the approximate value of these instruments. I know that he posted here quite often. Have any of you chatted with him in the past? If so, would you happen to know or have a guess as to the company that restored them for him? I think he said he shipped them to some company in California.
    Thanks for your help.
    Joel Hall

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

My guess would be that he sent them to Kanstul. I would check with them. If they restored them, they should be able to give her an appraisal.

bigtiny

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If it wasn't Kanstul, or if the specific models of the trumpet and cornet cannot be verified by Kanstul, then the next step would be to have her read the engraving on the bells and also the serial numbers from the 2nd valves and then post them here.

Also, the question arises about when the restoration was done and how much they have been played since then (that is, current condition). Also, the condition of the case can have an effect on the values. Photos, if possible, would also help immensely. So, let us know what you find out.