Al Porcino - Farewell from the Stage at 88

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Jul 29, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Hi TMers,

I've just returned from famous Munich Jazz club Unterfahrt, where 88-year-old trumpet legend Al Porcino celebrated his final farewell from the stage.
    He started off his career in 1942 in New York with the Luis Prima orchestra and went on to become "the lead trumpet of the leaders", playing with the likes of Tommy Dorsey, Woody Herman, Stan Kenton, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra and many others. In his seventies, he retired to Munich and founded the Al Porcino Big Band which became starting point and career generator for generations of European Jazz and Swing musicians.
    The club was filled to capacity, and then another fifty people were squeezed in - many of them first-rate musicians. A spate of players took turns to celebrate Al Porcino's playing and teaching abilities - Klaus Eibl (kb), Paolo Cardoso (b), Peter Tuscher, Klaus Reichstaller (tp), J├╝rgen Neudert (tb), Sonja Wegner and Jenny Evans (voc), culminating in several tribute performances by Dusko Gojkovic who in several orchestras succeeded Al Porcino as lead trumpet player.

Al was clearly very moved by this tribute, and it was a really unforgettable evening.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    One of the greats. Last time I heard him he was playing lead with Thad and Mel at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago in the '70's. John Faddis and Cecil Bridgewater were in the section. There are some funny stories about him.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    There certainly are - and many of them are not really fit to print. He had a very good life, it seems. And of course, he was rather famous - in Munich, at least - for his prowess in teaching. He once said to Klaus Reichstaller, who had just joined his band: "I'll make a lead trumpet player out of you, whether you want it or not."