alcohol

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlrenick, Oct 2, 2009.

1. mlrenick

mlrenick Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    I was told by a music store owner to use alcohol to clean the inside of the trumpet since it is a disinfectent. Is that ok for the horn or should I use something else. I heard good things about spitballs. Any suggestions?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Spitballs are pretty good, I know a few people who use them to clean out the inside of their horn once a week or so, I wouldn't worry about the disinfectant part too much...

Just don't drink the alcohol first...

3. mlrenick

mlrenick Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    Thanks

4. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    I use sanitary alcohol when I clean the leadpipe with the snake . it is not more corrosive than water and disinfects well .

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too use alcohol - immediately after a gig - great for relaxing the embouchure - at this point I don't care too much about the innards of da horn, it's in it's case and having a little rest too. ;-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you clean your horn regularly and brush your teeth after most meals, alcohol is a waste of time.

Disinfecting the horn lasts only until the alcohol has evaporated. Anything biodegradable left in the horn will start rotting shortly afterwards.

Cleanliness is next to godliness. Solve the problem and forget about dealing with symptoms.

The horn needs to be disassembled and soaked to get the crud out. Spitballs may get some of the soft crud out. Any of you that use them, try this experiment: clean the horn with the spitball, then disassemble it and clean it the right way. You will be SHOCKED at what is still left. Like with practicing, there are no shortcuts.

7. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Boy are you right about keeping your teeth brushed before you play. Nothing will gunk up a horn quicker than dirty spit.

However, I recommend keeping a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol on hand for one and only one reason: Disinfecting your mouth piece before each time you play. Germs that sit on the mouthpiece and get warm again when you put your lips against them is part of what causes fever blisters. Either wash the mouthpiece with soap and water before each time you play or keep a convenient spray bottle of alchohol with some paper towel nearby your practice room. When I started doing this I cut my incidents of fever blisters down by about 80%.

8. mlrenick

mlrenick Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    Wow, would have never guessed the brushing your teeth thing. It makes sense though.

9. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    If I'm at a gig and they feed us, I have a cup of black coffee followed by plain old water.

10. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Take yourself a shot of Vodka, the higher the proof the better, before each solo and this will be sure to keep the horn clean and disinfected. :cool: