alcohol

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlrenick, Oct 2, 2009.

1. DezynGuy

DezynGuy Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Burlingame, CA
    excuse my ignorance....but what is a 'spitball'

2. mlrenick

mlrenick Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    nice name

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    If alcohol did a better job of disinfecting an instrument those musicians who drink lots of booze ought to have the cleanest horns, but they don't always?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Last Christmas I was playing a church gig and one of the guys that's usually there sent a sub. The job was for 3 masses, so the director asked that we get there at 9 to go over parts and coordinate with the singers before the first mass (at 10:15).

The sub showed up at 9:15 with a small coffee and a taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwich in a bag. He sat in his seat and proceeded to finish the sandwich and drink between songs during the rehearsal. It was the closest I've ever seen someone to actually eat while they play.

I'd like to think he went right home and cleaned out the horn...but I doubt it.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    In my case(s): a toothbrush and small toothpaste. You can buy multi packs of brushes and travel-sized toothpaste at the drug store - cheap. If no toothpaste I brush w/o it. I never pick up my horn without brushing if I have eaten since the last brushing. Usually I brush again anyhow. My dentist thinks it's great. I know teeth are way more expensive than trumpets, but somehow I am more motivated by the disgusting thought of blowing my last meal into my horn.

If for some reason I have to play and have no brush, I rinse with warm water as well as I can.

veery

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    If you have eaten within the last 30 minutes, be sure to go to a water fountain and swish your mouth out 3 or 4 times before playing. Toothbrushing as recommended by others is the best.

A little off topic here -I remember our band director playind album (vinyl reord for young ones) of a German band at a recording studio taping marches (humorus). Following each march, each band member had one large beer. By the last few songs, some guys weren't even on the correct chart. Anyone heard this? It makes a fun "filler" for substitute day at school.
    Steve
    Olds SUper 1946, 1953, 1962
    Olds Recording 1952
    Bach Strad 1967, 1970

7. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Definately keep your mouthpiece clean and sanitized. At the end of the week I give all of my mouthpieces a through washing followed by an alcohol rinse. Before playing I take an alocohol swab (you can get a box of 100 at KMart cheap) to kill any germs.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Does Scotch work?

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

It's kept me going for years...