Alexander Goedicke Op. 49

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KMRoark, Mar 7, 2012.

1. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    HI, I am a freshman in high school and I am playing Alexander Goedicke Op. 49 for an up coming solo festival. I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas about this piece or just any thing that you have heard in the past that you liked and would be willing to share with me. I can play it well now, but just in case someone had an interesting thought to share about things that makes the piece even cooler and funner.

I do have technical skill and excellent tone quality, so that is not an issue with anything. I made high school Iowa All-state band this year as a freshman, and first chair SWIBA (Southwest Iowa Band Association)

2. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Don't rush the sections with multiple tonguing.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Have presence, not volume

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    And also, think "tip of tongue, tip of the tongue, tip of the tip of the tip of the tongue"

5. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    I like that a lot. I will definitely try to do that.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Try and play it with a "Russian" flair. Don't take it too fast, but faster than the marked tempo. Make a big decrescendo at the end so that the last note is really soft.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Hi, I just preformed this solo (Concert Etude Op. 49) for my solo. I will tell you what my judge told me. Remember not to rush the 16ths, get a clean articulation for every note you play. I would take out all of the slurs right now and play it with all tongue. Then add the slurs. Dynamics are everything, over-do them. I am looking at the piece right now so I am going to name measures. At rehearsal # 5 and 9, make your tone so beautiful your judge cries. This is an expressive piece, but a favorite of mine. I am going to play it a few times and see if there is anything I missed.
    I wish you the best of luck!

-Codu

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yeah, one of my favorite pieces. The biggest thing I would watch was at rehearsal # 2, 6, 8 and measure 92 when you come from a sweet spot to the 16ths. Make sure you keep tempo and dont speed up. They are the fun spots of the solo, make them sound like you are having fun even if you are dying inside.

How is your double tonguing? Mine was not good enough but I got a clean single tongue and took the solo at 108 for a tempo. Fast enough to go the right tempo and slow enough to single tongue all of the 16ths.

-Cody

9. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    My double tonguing is good. I actually just learned to double tongue at the end of last year. My problem isn't the tonguing, it's the lining up my tongue with my valves. I am going to be taking this solo at 140.

10. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Work to get the double tonguing clean and crisp but not short. Keep the air moving through the double tongued sections instead of stopping the air. Also have mercy on the pianist, the piano part is a transcription and not done very well. As a judge I would rather hear it cleanly and played a little slower then rushed and sloppy on both parts. I also second the thing about presence not volume to make sure that you don't run out of gas before the end.