Alexander method for musicians

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sterling, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    After playing on Monette mouthpieces since last June, I've become interested in the "whole body concept" of trumpet playing. I'm sure that it is about time, since I've been playing trumpet for 43 years. I'm going to a seminar at the local health food store this afternoon about Alexander technique for singers and musicians(really, that's what it is posted as......singers AND musicians). I'll bring my horn and try to volunteer as an example in need of help. Anyone out there use this method? Is it common sense, or do I have to think about this while playing?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I went to an Alexander clinic once. It didn't really do it for me, but some of the concepts are decent. It is all about making your body relaxed, and techniques on relaxation, such as remembering times when you are happy etc.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Alexander Method is real, and it works. It requires "hands on" private teaching to learn, however, and can be somewhat pricey. The clinics are free, fun and imformative--well worth the time.

The Cheapo Vulgano version involves trying to keep the head as far away as possible from the posterior. I wish more conductors practiced this!