Alexander Technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Manny,

I know you are into "Alexander Technique" and that it compliments Dave Monette's acclimation advice on his equipment. It is also beneficial for all musicians. I have a great DVD that covers this subject very well and includes a lot of great visual instruction. I will include the link here for anyone else who is interested. If you don't already have this, you should pick it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-7884285-4576737?n=130

I have had this DVD since its release. I discovered while searching for this one that several others have been released. I have not seen any of these yet, so I have no opinion. I just thought to pass this along for anyone interested in visual study of Alexander Technique.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bless your eyes, Alex!

I will pick it up and give you my impressions...

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
  4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Great article Glenn! I would love to have access to medical attention sensitive to the needs of musicians. Thanks for sharing.

5. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Thank you for bringing the Alexander Technique up. I had read a great deal about it and picked up a manual. I read the manual several times but still wasn't sure of my understanding of the material. I did some research and found a teacher nearby, contacted her and arranged for some lessons. Well, after 6 months of AT lessons the material in the manual makes perfect sense.

I would encourage all of my colleagues to think about AT lessons. My teacher is a professional dancer so she understands the needs (and psychology) of performers.

I found that besides better posture, I breathe much easier, am more relaxed and have much more energy.

Here are a few websites for those who are interested.

www.alexandertech.org

www.atcne.com

Thanks again for bringing up AT.

K

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I also just ordered both. I will let you know how they work.

(This is great for someone with a bad back)

:oops:

7. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    It helped relieve my back pains.

I do believe that finding a good teacher of the technique is essential. One of the problems I had from just reading and trying the technique versus lessons with a teacher was that our perceptions of what the body is actually doing is flawed. A qualified teacher can help change some of our perceptions.

Good luck with your pursuits.

K

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree with you Kenzo. That is why I posted a link for a DVD. While it is not the same as having lessons, it is much more informative than trying to learn from a book.

9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Just like playing trumpet then.. ;)

One of my mates, who is also a trumpet player is studying to be an AT instructor/teacher. We are sometimes used as guinea pigs for him.

It's on my list of things to do........

10. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Alex,

I believe you are quite correct the DVD will definitely be a help over just a manual. I think simply bringing AT to the masses (so to speak) is a positive endeavour. Thanks again.

David,

You will be able to help your friend studying to be an AT instructor quite a lot by helping him to understand the unique issues musicians have.

Best,

Kenny Roe