Alexander Technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by redring17, Jul 6, 2007.

1. redring17

redring17 New Friend

Jul 2, 2007
    I just attended a Master Class given by Proffessor John Henes at Northwestern University on the Alexander Technique. He spoke about releasing tension and achieving "weightlessness," but in a very general sense. I was wondering if anyone has taken any other more specified sessions and has any experiences/methods/thoughts they would like to share. Thanks!!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Alexander Technique is real and it works, and appears to be a closely guarded secret. Much of it is taught by touch (kinesthetic), which is why there isn’t a bunch of free stuff on the internet about it. If you have the time and the money to spend for 20-40 classes it may be a good investment for you (and future students). I've been at a couple workshops, thought "wow!," and never followed up.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    VB is right on the money!
    It is worth it. The basic pretense is that we have a choice in everything that we do. The Alexander Technique helps us to make the right choices! It is NOT a self help technique - if we knew better, we would not have made mistakes in the first place.
    There is not much to share except that you learn how many bad choices you have made in your life - not only while playing!

4. mcstock

mcstock New Friend

Aug 15, 2005
    Norman OK
    I just spent a week working one-on-one with John Henes and finally feel like I have some insight into how to deal address some things I've been frustrated with in my playing for years. The differences in how you use your body are too sublte to discover on your own, you have to work with a teacher, but it is certainly worth the time and money.

Go for it!

Matt

P.S. For an introduction, check out "Body Learning" by Michael Gelb.

5. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    What's this technique all about? :) Sounds interesting-

Short of NU, there's good workshops that are qualified to teach it right; that ya'll are aware?

Thanks,

C

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    pretty much any major city has certified Alexander teachers.

I have a great book called "Body Learning" that opened my eyes to the benefits of the Alexander Technique.