Alfred Reed has passed away

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by dizforprez, Sep 19, 2005.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    hi guys, I got this email this morning and thought i would share this with everyone.

jason

Hello:
    This announcement was attached to an email that I received from Carol Franks (Troy University) this morning. It was written originally by James Curnow. Just thought I would pass it along.
    John

Alfred Reed passed away yesterday afternoon, 17 September. His gift to the world is a body of music that will continue to thrill, charm and delight audiences in virtually every country of the world, as it has done for the last fifty years. His gift to those of us blessed to have known him was a kind and generous spirit that is all too rare.
    I cannot begin to reach everyone who has known and loved Dr. Reed and his music. May I therefore ask those of you receiving this email to forward it to those known to you who would want to be made aware of this most sad event.

Memorial arrangements are pending. Please understand and respect the family's need for quiet time and privacy by withholding all telephone communications with them until at least Monday, 19 September.

Thank you

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    This is truly sad news for me; I love his music. We have played some of his pieces with our wind ensemble, and I've done a couple with my hs groups. Among my favorites: Othello, Armenian Dances, and his setting of Komm, Susser Tod.

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I read this at school today. I played under his direction as a student (twice) and then again later as an adult (once). I also got to know him a little through a common friend, and even got to eat with him at the Midwest clinic one year.

I think he was a great musiciian, but I will remember him as being a nice person (to me that is more important). He was nice to everyone, and he motivated me to try and be a better person.

4. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    his transcriptions of bach were super! i met him in the 70's.

dj