Alice Coltrane Blows My Mind All Over the Walls! ...Transcriptions??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeeHilborn, Jan 27, 2015.

1. LeeHilborn

LeeHilborn New Friend

Jan 20, 2015
    I have been trying for ages to find transcriptions for the sax parts(to learn on trumpet) in Alice Coltrane's "Blue Nile" and "Journey in Satchidananda." If anyone has these or can offer any helpful info it would be majorly appreciated!!

Also, is anyone else's brain exploded by the colours and textures and shapes and mindscapes transmitted by these and some of Mrs. Coltrane's other songs?

2. LeeHilborn

LeeHilborn New Friend

Jan 20, 2015
    Just me then..

3. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
  4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Beautiful. I loved the world music aspects of so much of the 60s music.

I don't know if she just had trouble getting critical acclaim and jobs because people might have decided that she got the gigs she did that she did because she was married to John and it was resented, or what, but I think she's an underappreciated musician.

5. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    No, you're not alone. Her "Journey to Satchitanda" and "Ptah the El-Doud" are both very deep and very accessible. "Blue Nile" is an instant hit with anyone I play it for.

About transcriptions...I'd say Pharoah Sanders and Joe Henderson don't really play in a way that translates to trumpet easily. Especially Pharoah -- very few trumpeters could produce a sound that brutally visceral. (Of course, no harm in trying, just don't hurt yourself!)

6. LeeHilborn

LeeHilborn New Friend

Jan 20, 2015
    Every time I listen to blue Nile it makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck...

So you do know how to play it then... Do you have any info to offer? Even just the main melody line for either song.

Side note, for me, I am very interested in playing outside of an instruments expected means and I'm especially excited about exploring all the possibilities with the trumpet. I love the "visceral" thick emotive sounds coming from guys like Coltrane and Pharaoh Sanders and all the rest but I'm hooked on the power and range and rich tone of the trumpet. When I listen to Rafael Mendez he sounds like he is playing a violin; it's mind blowing to me the possibilities of this instrument. Totally worth pushing myself to the point of breaking my face to expand my sounds.*end rant*

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Do you know the works of Lester Bowie, Wadada Leo Smith and Don Cherry?

8. LeeHilborn

LeeHilborn New Friend

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm not familiar with them. I gave them a listen, albeit a quick one, I didn't catch anything that really stood out to me.

9. LeeHilborn

LeeHilborn New Friend

Jan 20, 2015
  10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Wow! I had never even heard a mention of Alice!
    What a week in their presence would have been, eh?