Alignment of #1 valve.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by applianceguy, Nov 14, 2012.

1. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Okay, this was originally thought to be a restriction due to lead pipe, but I started a new Thread, due to new info from Dale Proctor.

My # 1 valve has an alignment problem. All the holes line up, except for the one at the top. When I remove the #1 slide, sight down the top slide tube and fully depress #1 valve, the top of opening is OK, but the bottom of the opening is not. The valve bore is sharp, and restrcts some of the round hole. Would it be OK to file the ridge/burr to open it up?? Or would you not recommend this.

Could you, just for grins, pull your #1 slide, depress #1 valve, and sight down the top tube, and tell me what yours looks like??

• :-?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    When the valve is depressed, the holes in the valve should line up just about perfectly with inside of the slide tubes - you shouldn't be able to see any of the surface of the valve when you look down either tube.

The valve and/or valve guide isn't in wrong, is it?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. applianceguy

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Dale,

Thanks for the info., No every other hole aligns spot-on.., it is only the top tube hole of the #1 slide. Well, it is not the hole, but the hole that is bored in the valve case. On the top, it lines up right, but the bottom of this opening, the valve has a sharp ridge that restricts the opening. I tried to get a pic. of it, but I cannot get it lit up while taking the picture. Can yo u look at your horns and tell me what your tube looks like with valve depressed??? Like I said.., every other hole is right on, but this one valve bore.

I would like to take a round file to it, but I do not want to ruin the only horn that I have. Thanks again for this helpful info.

4. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Now remember, they won't all line up when the valve is up, only when it's down. Looking down all three slides should be the same - with the valve down, you shouldn't see anything through the slide tubes but the valve ports. Some of the tubing may curve slightly as it attaches to the valve body, so don't let that fool you. If you do this and one hole lines up and one doesn't, you either have a valve in wrong or the horn has a rather bad manufacturing defect.

If you're convinced something's wrong, take it to your band director or a local music store and let them have a look at it.

5. applianceguy

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Oh how the time does fly!!

I am going to be 50 next month, so I am no longer in school, I only play a H.S. grade instrument.

ROFL

I thiink I am going to clean up the port of that #1 valve a little.

It is a "B USA" horn that I found at a pawn shop for 140 dollars.
    (I guess this is about the time the critics chime in.)
    It looks and sounds amazing, so leave it alone you naysayers!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    If it looks and sounds amazing why would you be worried about alignment? If it ain't broke, why fix it!

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sorry about that. :oops:

I skimmed by this in your other post...

"I was told (In Middle school) to leave these edges alone!!!"

...and made the assumption that you were a middle school student with really good language skills.

Anyway, don't file the spot where the valve port meets the valve body. The valves are hollow and you can make a hole at that edge really easily. If there's a glob of solder or something in the valve port or in the slide tube, you can try to dress it with a file a bit, but be careful.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    So, it sounds like the question is whether the hole in the valve casing where the short tube is attached for where the first slide 's top tube goes is off or whether they drilled the the upper hole in the valve in the wrong place.

If you happen to be around a music shop, most techs would likely look at it for free.

Is it affecting your playing?

9. applianceguy

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Dale,

Yes, once again I thank you for having me check alignment of #1 valve. It is off, and after checking into it further, I can see where the valve just does not fully depress. This is not a problem with any of the other valves, so I might just remove the #1 cap stop felt, until I can figure out a better resolve. Maybe I will flatten the felt with a hammer to thin it out.

SteveRicks,
    Yes, It causes a problem, a slight restriction is noticed when I play a C# (1 and 2) or an F (1)at top of staff. The note is restricted, and I have to force these slightly, to get them out. This condition was even worse when the horn had it's original rubber bumpers. Not so much now that I installed thinner felt cap stop bumpers and opened up that #1 valve port a little. I did not use a file, but I sanded it very lightly with a 1000 grit sandpaper.

It is what it is..., a cheap, sorry "Affordable" horn, so you get what you pay for. :-(

I bet that amzi ,and cooler dave will like the sound of that!!

What was that post about?? I guess they thought I was using some kind of reverse psychology?? You tell them not to do something.., and they just cannot leave it alone!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  10. applianceguy

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Resolved!!

I removed the felts, and hammered and trimmed them..., all of them. Eureka!

Thanks to those of you who offered good advice. I guess that is why they call this site "Trumpetmaster"

To those of you who poke fun and criticize?? Well I have choice words for you, that I cannot use on thise site.

Thanks Dr. Proctor..,a Dr. of trumpetology!!

Problem was not as evident while practicing, but now that I am performing, I want to sound good, you know??
    :play: